He also knew Corona's history, a predictable outcome when the army indoctrinated willing recruits. That had been him, signing on after his future—his birthright to serve on Torredo's Ruling Council—was savagely ripped away with his mother's death. Bitterness, accusations, and anger. Corona fueled them. He believed their propaganda, certain the resistance had been behind her assassination. He wanted justice for her, for himself. Still did. It was only when a friend was unjustly executed that he finally realized he had chosen the wrong side.

The sergeant shook his head as sparks and ash alighted on the GPC. "Two Corona battlecruisers in orbit now." He grunted. "Sorry, there I go talking too much again."

Tic felt a stab of fear. "Where did you hear that?" He had been in the HQ when the evac was ordered. If there had been a communique indicating the battlecruisers had returned, he would have seen it. They'd been dispatched to New Mars to quell an uprising. Twenty-five thousand troops called the dreadnaught-class ships home. Fighter support numbered in the thousands. If the cruisers were back, Riga would be outnumbered five-to-one.

"It's a trap, Lieutenant. Classic bait and switch."

Tic swallowed hard. There had been no Corona battlecruisers in-system. None to protect the emperor's interests on Torredo. None to offer aid to those being evacuated or to provide additional cover to the troops being left behind. He'd confirmed Corona's movements down to nth degree before contacting Norse, his cell leader. They had agreed, the time could not be better.

The Riga had invaded on his word.

Sweat beaded on his brow. At this very moment, the resistance and Riga troops would be securing HQ. Would Corona go to the trouble of packing up half the planet just to give the appearance of pulling out?

No... I won't believe that. Norse or Jack would have signaled at the slightest indication of complications. If they could...

The men in the GPC gasped. Tic jerked his head up. Directly ahead, a small transport carrying no visible markings had cleared the trees and was blasting toward the atmosphere. Three crusaders tore across the skies in its wake. A heartbeat later, Riga skyfighters, laser cannons ablaze, thundered overhead in pursuit.

Blaster fire echoed across the hillsides. The GPC swerved into the last turn to the spaceport. It emerged from the wooded hillsides onto the flattened mountaintop, a chaotic sight with Corona transports evacuating troops and Riga dropships plummeting through the clouds. A monstrous roar accompanied the dropships' descent as they slowed and landed on the far side of the spaceport. Seconds later, armored tanks were birthed from their bellies and hundreds of troops hit the tarmac.

"Colonists save us," one man implored.

"Nice knowing you," another soldier shouted.

"We're almost there," Tic told them. The Riga were landing. Corona was evacuating. This was the plan. "We'll make it."

The GPC kicked up reddish dirt racing toward one of the few remaining Corona transports. It screeched to a halt and Tic jumped from the vehicle, shouting, "Move it!" Riga troops bore down on them, but he waved the soldiers onto the transport. Ironic if I get shot by the Riga. He couldn't exactly shout, "Hey, I'm on your side!"

"Let's go," Emilio Berg, chief of security at HQ, shouted from the shuttle hatch.

If he's here, then Maggie might be on board...

Berg glared at Tic. The man had a bug up his ass since he'd been passed over for officer training. Junior officers got the brunt of his disdain. Always the professional, Tic never let it get under his skin. Low profile. Being vigilant. As an undercover operative, he could never be too careful. And with Maggie reporting to the Chief, he had to play nice. Berg could never learn the two of them were more than casual acquaintances.

When the last man bolted from the GPC, Tic looked at his surroundings. His throat tightened. Next time he put his feet down on this soil, Torredo would be free. It would only be a matter of time until the truth about his mother's killer would come to light. And Maggie—she'd understand. She had to...

Tic scrambled toward the transport. Berg hadn't taken his eyes off him. His hand rested on the butt of his blaster. Tic fought a gnawing in his gut, told himself it was just nerves. Breathe deep. Keep moving.

Suddenly the air sizzled with heavy firepower. The ground trembled beneath Tic's feet, but he managed to stay upright and stopped on the ramp to scan the sky. That was no crusader. That was a Corona battlecruiser firing from orbit. Colonists, no! A Riga dropship disintegrated in a huge fireball.

No!

Bile fouled his mouth. The muscles in his arms and legs stiffened.

"Surprise," Berg said.

Tic jerked around. Berg had the blaster in his hand and a sick smirk on his face.

"Out of my way, Berg," Tic ordered.

"Chief, what's the problem?" a familiar voice asked from behind Berg.

Maggie!

"The pilot wants to get this bucket off the ground," Maggie said, peering around Berg. Her eyes lit when she saw Tic.

Berg frowned at Tic, shaking his head. "Norse told me you might show up. Today isn't your day, Ford. Your cover's blown."

"Norse? What the hell—"

"What?" Maggie shouted at the same time.

Berg laughed. "Didn't you hear? Ari Norse is on our side."

The air left Tic's lungs. That can't be. He could see Maggie's face pale.

"And there's new orders from Inquisitor Ardan," Berg said.

They know...they know...

"Traitors should be executed on sight."

Tic reached for Berg's blaster, tried to knock it away.

Berg fired, spraying the air with his first shot. The second burst found its mark.

Tic grabbed his chest and cried out. Staggering backwards, he could see the horror on Maggie's face. He fell to the tarmac as Berg closed the hatch behind him.

~~~~~

Author's note
I'd love your comments & your votes! 
Chapter 3 will be posted this weekend. Are you ready to meet Ari Norse?