However, Kalp is unsure why he would need to go shopping — the Institute has provided him with food and clothing to this point, and Gwen and Basil have now provided shelter. He has very little currency accumulated from the last few days of work, and he has yet to receive his pay packet. Even if Kalp felt that he required something, he has no tender with which to purchase it.

He would very much like to ride the Ferris wheel, however, so he does not object.

Gwen returns to the kitchen and this time Kalp follows her all the way into the narrow, bright room. Late afternoon sunlight is entering through the large window above the washing station, a soothing happy wave of sleepy vibrations.

She retrieves a small glass vessel from a cabinet and fills it with cold water from the faucet. She passes it over to him, and then pours another for herself.

"This is the kitchen," she says. "Everything in it is fair game. That means you can eat whatever food you find, however you'd like to eat it, at any time. Do you understand? No starving under my roof."

Kalp smiles. He finds the more he does it, the easier and more instinctual it becomes.

"Basil and I usually have coffee and tea in the morning. We'll make enough for you too, if you indicate that you want it. There's bagels and fruit, yogurt, eggs...whatever you want in the morning before we leave, have. We exit the house at eight o'clock sharp — it's our only morning rule. We can't be late."

"I understand," Kalp says, with the affirmative head bob. "There are many people who are eager to replace you should you prove to fail in your duties, so you must instead prove dependable."

Gwen blinks once, and she seems to be surprised that Kalp understands the situation that thoroughly. "Uh, yeah," she agrees.

"I will not be late," Kalp promises. "I do not wish to see you replaced. I am too fond of your company."

There. He's admitted it. It is thrilling.

Gwen's response is a soft, tender smile. "We're fond of you too, Kalp."

He considers trying to kiss her now, and hesitates because he is not sure how quickly humans move to physical intimacy after such declarations. He has never done it before, is not sure how to start. Before he can work up the gumption, the banging upstairs stops. Gwen sets aside her empty glass and brushes past Kalp towards the stairs. Kalp lingers in the kitchen for a moment, enjoying the fading sensation of her hot skin against his bare arm, and then sets down his own glass vessel and follows.

They cross a room that has a table and four chairs — why four? There are only two residents of the domicile; perhaps in anticipation of offspring? — and then another room that has a long animal hide sofa facing a ridiculously large television mounted on the wall, a fireplace to the right of it and glass doors that open into a small, walled garden to the left. Yet all the furniture belongs together, like a pack of ill-matched but nonetheless companionable friends. Kalp is fascinated by the fireplace. He has seen them on television, but like the car, never experienced it first-hand. He thinks he'd like to try roasting marshmallows. On the same wall as the fireplace are the stairs, and Gwen is already halfway up them.

Kalp follows at a slower pace, placing his toes carefully on the narrow steps. They are just large enough for a human foot, clearly not designed for one shaped like his own. He will need to remember to go slowly every time. It would be embarrassing to tumble down them. Perhaps even dangerous.

At the head of the stairs there are four doors, two on the left and two on the right. From the feel of the water standing in the pipes, it appears as if the bathing room and commode are on the far right, above the kitchen. The door on the far left is closed, but from the strength of the combined scents of Basil and Gwen, he guesses that particular room is their own sleeping chamber.