Makoto Tachibana --Phone Call--

Prompt: Distance

---------------------------

They know, as much as they miss him, that studying and living in Tokyo is hard. Tokyo was a busy city, the pace of people living there compared to their hometown was like comparing the live of a college student and a primary student. Makoto-nii must be doing his best there.

But, still, couldn't he call them for 5 minutes? Ran and Ren will be good boy and girl and won't talk over each other so their brother doesn't have to calm them down first.

Ran missed her brother's voice. Makoto-nii's voice was so calming and sometimes when he wasn't tired, she would sing her to sleep and then she would dream of being underwater with the fishes and mermaid.

Ren also missed his brother's voice. Sometimes when they behaved enough, Ren would beg for Makoto-nii to read them a story before bed. His voice was so soothing and then Ren would be able to see the Prince, the Princess and the nice Dragon they saved when he closed his eyes.

"--of course they miss you, they've mopping all day since you haven't call," their mother's voice brought them back to reality, turning to face the door as their mother opened it, a phone on her ear, "here, I'm giving the phone to them."

She smiled as she gave the phone to Ran, who upon saw the caller's name, sceam in unison with her brother.

"Onii-chan!!"

Makoto's laugh vibrated from the phone. The deep soothing voice brought smiles on their faces and Ran waste no time to punch the speaker button.

"Hello, you two."

"Hello, Onii-chan!"

"How are you doing?"

"Onii-chan, when are you going home?"

The twins fired questions one after another, both eager to be answered by their brother. From the phone, Makoto's voice changed a bit.

"Now, now, one by one. I can't answer all of them at the same, right?"

The two slumped, "Sorry, Onii-chan."

"It's alright. Now, you haven't answered my question, how are you doing?"

"We're doing fine!" Ran fired, "Ren wasn't feeling really well yesterday but he's better now."

"Did something happen?"

"I-It was raining the day before, a girl forget her umbrella so I lent her mind. Ran was already home so I had to ran back," color dusted his cheeks, which caused Ran to looked so deeply amused.

"She gave it back to me when Ren didn't come to school," mischievous entered her eyes, "she also told me if it is okay she would love to eat lunch together with us next time."

"R-Ran, stop it!"

Makoto's fond voice rumbled once again, "Don't tease your brother," he said, "so what did you say about the offer?"

"Well, I said okay, of course," Ran beamed.

"That's great, make sure you make lots of friends at, school okay?"

"Of course," it was Ren who answered this time, "what about you, have you been doing well there?"

"Me?" Makoto thought a bit, "I'm good. The pace in here is so fast compared to Iwatobi so I'm struggling a bit, but I'll manage."

"If it's you, you'll manage, Onii-chan, I'm sure of it!" The twins moved to lay down on the floor, the phone lay between them.

The siblings talked a bit more about their daily life. Ran and Ren were talking about the swimming lessons they took more regularly while Makoto talked about the friends he met in college.

Makoto mentioned about how his sleep schedule was now a mess with everything going on, which set the twins off thinking they had taken some precious moment from their brother but soon assured that it was okay and talking with them eased his mind a bit.

"Onii-chan," Ren's tone changed, his cheerful voice turned low and his eyes casted down. "When are you going back?"

"Not in a while, I'm afraid," Makoto replied, causing the boy's lips to waver, "but I'll be back before you know, then we can go somewhere together, how does that sound?"

"Promise?" he asked.

"Promise."

Ren closed his eyes a while, basked in the soft voice his big brother always had, warmth bloomed his chest.

"Okay."

Their conversation was cut off when their mother called them for dinner, reminding Makoto to eat healthy while she was at it.

The twins shared the same look of disappointment, but it eased when Makoto promised to call more. It still wasn't the same, they both thought as they went down. If only their brother took a college in Iwatobi, they would still be eating dinner together. But again, going to Tokyo was a big step, especially for Makoto.

The twins sat down on their chair, watching as their mother put the phone down on the island.

So if going to Tokyo meant Makoto could be the person he wanted to, phone calls would be enough.