seven; pageant practice✔️

Brooke snaps her fingers multiple times in my face

Brooke snaps her fingers multiple times in my face. I shake my head and look up to see an annoyed Brooke waiting for me to get out of my daydream. 

Earlier today, Brooke and I went out for coffee and we chatted about how idiotic we were for arguing about nothing. She just didn't want to find me hurt over someone who she thinks isn't worth my time, but I really like him. I really like Stavo. He's funny, fun and doesn't give a shit. Anyways, now Brooke and I are friends again!

"Are you okay? You've been doing this all day!" Brooke huffs, the tone in her voice shows she's clearly annoyed.

"Huh? I'm fine..." I say with a small smile but her brown eyes stare at my face, making me uncomfortable. "Ugh, I just haven't been feeling like myself since Ansel."

"Oh, are you serious? Get him out of your head." Brooke says as if it's really that simple.

"Okay." I nod, not wanting to drag out the conversation about my murderous older brother.

"Anyways, I was saying how happy I am that you're going to be standing right by my side throughout the Lady of the Lake Pageant." Brooke cheers.

"I mean, I didn't really have much of a choice now, did I?" I raise one eyebrow as I look at Brooke who covers her face.

"It wasn't me." She jokes and I smile.

"I'm sure it's a fun experience, but I just don't think the timing is right. Something just feels off about the pageant." I shrug.

"Look, if you're worried that you won't make it to the Finals, then I'll tell my dad to keep an eye on you so that you do end up in the finals, especially with me," Brooke whispers, not wanting the other girls who were practicing how to walk to hear that the pageant is rigged. "But, to make that happen, you actually have to try because he's not the only judge. He has to have reasons why you're the best, and you need to show him."

"I'm not worried about the finals. I don't care if I don't get to the end, I'm just here because I'm forced to be." I roll my eyes as does Brooke.

"Ladies! Save all that chitter chatter for after the pageant! Stand up, and in like with the others." The pageant teacher shouts at Brooke and I. We both look at each other and I bite my cheek to hold in my laugh. I notice Brooke doing the exact same.

We stand in line with the other girls and hold our head up high.

"You'll be standing in line, like this. Shoulders back. Good," The teacher walks down the line as presses her hand against shoulders to make them look less stiff. "As you're introduced, you'll take one step forward. Let's try it out."

The teacher calls on our names and one by one the girls step forward and then step back when the next girl is called out.

"Mia Roberts." She falls my name and I do as she had said earlier.

One step forward.
Head high.
Shoulders back.
Eyes straight ahead to the crowd.
A nice daring smile on my face.

I take a step back to stand in my position as she calls on the rest of the girls.

"Ugh, Andrea has no chance in make it to the end." Brooke whispers from beside me, as we turn our bodies to the side and put a hand on our hips.

"Why do you say that?" I ask as I look at the brown haired girl.

"Watch her, she's terrible!" Brooke laughs.

I watch as Andrea struggles to turn gracefully. Her high heels on her feet cause her to almost trip, but she immediately catches herself. The teacher orders us to point a leg out. The girls and I do it with ease, but Andrea points her left instead of her right. She places her pale hands on her hips as she puts on a small smile. Her foot slowly moves forward.

"Oh my God, I'm slipping!" Andrea shouts and the teacher rushes to her side and pushes her back to her original stance. Brooke lets out a lightly chuckle causing Andrea to give her a rude stare. I shake my head and Brooke smirks.

"One less person to worry about." Brooke winks at me.

"Brooke, you have nothing to feel threatened about."

"I know, but it's still fun to make people feel as though they have a chance." Brooke giggles.

After 30 minutes of practicing, the pageant teacher gives us a 15 minute break. I fix my short skirt since more of my stomach is showing since I'm wearing a low cut crop top.

I notice Stavo sitting in the auditorium chairs. I look at him as Brooke speaks to me. My heart skips a beat as I immediately look away incase he catches me staring.

"I'm going bathroom, come with?" She asks. I didn't want to, I wanted to stay to talk to Stavo instead of going to the bathroom with Brooke. So, I nod. "What are you staring at?"

I look away instantly and it was too late, Brooke followed my gaze from earlier and smirks, "more like who are you staring at."

"Oh, hush you."

"Go to him." She says and I look at her. I wasn't expecting her to say that, what the...

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah!"

Brooke lightly pushes me down the stairs of the stage and she walks away to the bathroom. I make my way towards Stavo who looks up and smiles. I feel my cheeks grow hot and I look down instantly, hiding my red cheeks.

"Hey." I greet with a small wave.

"Hi," he sends a smile my way. "I would never have pegged you for a beauty pageant contestant."

"I was forced to do this with Brooke, and you can't say no to her," I sigh. "So, what are you doing here?"

"Came early to get in some laps and accidentally discovered this circus," he explains. "But then, I saw you and was shocked. So, I had to stay and watch."

"You stayed for me?" I smile as I feel my cheeks grow hot and red. I look down to hide my blush once again. I sit down on the chairs, wanting to change the subject so my cheeks can just stop. "So, what are you doing?"

He notices me point to his tablet, I see him tense up as I try to look at his art but I don't say anything.

"Uh...it's...um, kinda private." He says and I nod.

"Yeah, that's alright. If anyone saw my sketchbook, I'd probably die." I lie, I don't care if anyone looks through my drawings. I'm not a terrible artist, so they deserve to be shown. Maybe he's just nervous that I'll hate them. "You seem really into drawing, would that be something you'd want me to do when you leave this hellhole."

"Uh, I'm not sure yet."

"Me too, just as long as I'm out of this murderous town."

Stavo and I continue to talk about our future and basically anything. In the midst of our laughter, I get called by the Pageant teacher. I sigh and say goodbye to Stavo.

I walk back over to Brooke who must've returned from the bathroom.

"Nice to have you back." Brooke whispers in my ear as we stand up straight, with one hand on our hip and the other in front of us.

"Oh, hush!"