Chapter Twenty

Stepping through the thick terrain of trees, something changes. It's as if my body develops some type of chemical imbalance. I start to feel weightless, like there's nothing to hold me down to the ground. My stomach gurgles uncomfortably, making me feel like I've just eaten too much food in one sitting. There's a distinct fuzziness in my head. This is what being sick feels like in all honesty.

"Where are we?" I ask once I realize my body isn't the only thing affected. It seems everywhere is because we aren't even in the forest anymore.

Instead, we're surrounded by fields of snow and mountains. A thick fog blocks visibility, but I'm still able to make out the shadows of the large rocks in the distance. There isn't a breeze, but the cold is frigid and jarring. My muscles freeze, paralyzed by the chill. My teeth chatter quickly and hard, the movement uncontrollable. Goosebumps rise on my skin as my body shivers to warm itself up, but it doesn't work.

"Someplace safe... for now," Cytherea answers as she turns to face us.

I look over at Rory to see he's doing much better than me. As a wolf, his body temperature is naturally hotter than humans. While I know he's cold, I know he's not as cold as I am at the moment. Though he is naked after his clothes tore with his shift. But I have no idea if lycan bodies are different from normal wolves. They have to be somewhat different if they're seen as almost two different species by the vampires.

Shuffling over to him, I burrow my body into his. Despite his modesty being compromised, Rory wraps his arms around me. As I expected, his body is much warmer than mine is. The effects of his body heat help me for the time being, acting as my own personal heater. But the sooner we get out of the cold, the better.

"Alright, it's prepared. You can step inside now." Cytherea's voice cuts me out of my thoughts. Sparing a glance in her direction, my eyes widen to the sight of a cottage now behind her.

The place wasn't there before and I can only assume that it was hidden by some sort of illusion. Through the two windows on either side of the door, I see dim lights illuminating the room inside. The yellow glow causes another shiver to wrack my body as I imagine the warmth harboring inside of the small house.

Cytherea walks in first, her steps echoing on the cobblestone walkway to the door. It opens without her touching the doorknob. A gust of warm air flits from the cottage, giving me a sample of what's inside. The smell of spices comes next and I'm not sure if it's from food or something else, but there's a different time to find out. Now, all I want to do is step inside and warm my body up.

"Caution to the wind," I mutter, stepping out of Rory's arms. Pulling him with me, I walk the short distance into the building.

The warmth is welcomed immediately as we step inside. A content sigh leaves me as my gaze becomes fixated on the crackling fireplace. Cytherea has disappeared, so it gives me time to survey her home without the intensity of her eyes on me. Looking around, I'm surprised by the interior. I expected to see black and white furniture that exudes nothing but sophistication and coldness. Contrary to my beliefs, I see cream colored furniture: a couch and a loveseat. A brown coffee table sits between the two pieces of decor. Plants fill the room, contrasting with the spicy smell of the place. Framed art is scattered around the walls which actually does make the place seem more sophisticated, but it doesn't take away from the cozyness of the small home.

"You need clothes, Rory," I tell him, still distracted by the place. "And another shower would be quite nice, yes?" After running through the woods, a wash would be much appreciated.

Rory sighs, bringing my attention to him. He gives me a look, reminding me of a pup. "Sophia-Grace, how do we know we can trust this woman?" His voice is only a whisper, but we're close enough for me to hear his words perfectly. Despite him being the one to make the final decision to follow her, he's the first to doubt.