28 | Morals

The Votanna.

It clicked as Kain's knees hit the harsh earth beneath him. Spots crossed his vision. A harsh, drawing ache tugged at where her lips brushed his hand. It took all he had to pull enough of himself together to try and jerk away.

He couldn't.

The light grip she had on his hand seemed akin to a steel vice, unbreakable with the little strength he could summon. Bits and pieces of the situation began flickering to realization beneath the pain.

She'd mentioned the Votanna, before attacking.

Kyril hired the Votanna to kill me.

Before Kain's mind could fully grasp the implications, there was a swift movement at his side, a weight missing from his hip.

"Let him go."

Melitta's voice rang through the crowd with a cold tone that would've drawn attention, even without Kain on his knees, and her leveling his sword at the demon's throat. Alithia stared for a moment, then started laughing.

"Do you even know how to use that, little girl?"

There was a heartbeat of silence, Melitta's expression impossible to read. Then, she adjusted her grip, and lunged. The demon dropped Kain's hand, ducking back to avoid the blow. Even then, as Alithia straightened and flicked her wrist, dropping a blade into her palm from a hidden sheath, blood dripped down her chin. If she hadn't possessed the speed of a demon, the shallow slice would've been a life-endangering wound.

Melitta had struck without hesitation, aiming to kill.

The crowd around them scattered. There were no shouts of surprise as there might've been in another village. The people of Nokos were familiar with blood, and knew better than to draw attention in their direction. In the silent seconds that Melitta and Alithia studied each other, and Kain struggled to bring himself to his feet, the packed exit emptied of everyone but the guards, who proceeded to shut the gates behind the last group, Kain catching a glimpse of large wings before view of the open fields beyond the city limits were locked away.

His mind stalled. Darkness creeping over the edges of his vision, even as his heart was consumed by dark, aching pain.

Either Iliana had been pulled away from the silent street, or she'd disappeared beyond the gate. Whichever way, it took all he had to blink away the shadows in his vision; even if he managed to get to his feet, there was no chance he'd be able to chase after her in this state.

Kain wasn't sure he'd ever hated anyone as strongly as he did Kyril in that moment.

Alithia flitted forward with near invisible speed. Melitta spun away, narrowly avoiding the other woman, even as she brought the blade up in a swift slash. Blood seeped into the soil beneath Alithia, crimson coating her arm. Several exchanges followed, neither woman backing down. Kain's heart thrummed in his throat, fear seizing his words.

Melitta was strong--but the demon was fast.

And then, it happened.

Alithia's dagger caught Melitta's wrist, Kain's blade slipping from her grasp with a pained cry. He struggled to raise to his feet, vision dimming, and time slipping by as his lips refused to cooperate. Before he could take a step, Alithia had Melitta spun around in her arms, a thin blade settled at the mermaid's throat.

"Now, how about we calm down," the demon murmured. "I'm only here for the boy--"

She cut off with a guttural shriek, blade leaving a shallow nick on Melitta's throat as she jerked away. Blood drenched the side of her shirt, as well as Melitta's arm, now sporting the familiar silvery, sharp arm fin. Kain could've killed her, he was so relieved, and simultaneously worried. The crimson trailing down her neck was thin, barely notable... but it existed.