Chapter XIX

"First I'll acknowledge your trust has been broken now. A successful recovery, I pray for us at night. Blessed me with a second chance never thought I'd see your face again. Learned a lot through trial and error tryna make it right"

"Skylar before you freak out, can we please just talk?" Jack implored.

I groaned loudly as the ride began to start, letting me know that I was trapped on this ride for a whole five minutes with the one person I've been avoiding.

"Don't fucking talk to me." I seethed, glaring at him.

He sighed and ignored my comment, "Yes I still have feelings for my ex but we've only been broken up for like four months. We were dating for like three years, Skylar. What do you expect? For me to just break off all types of feelings for her in a months time? Because that's not how it works and you should know that.' He began.

"Don't you dare try to compare my situation with Andrew to yours with Leigh." I turned to face him, I was fuming.

"I'm not trying to compare them, Skylar. I'm just trying to tell you that just because I have feelings for her doesn't mean I don't like you. Yes, you're helping me get rid of those feelings for her because I'm gaining feelings for you." He explained.

"You can't have feelings for me and her! That's not how it works and I don't want any part of it, Jack." I shook my head.

"I can't help it!" He snapped, slamming his hands down on the handle bar.

I flinched at his sudden actions, scooting farther away from him, if that was even possible.

He sighed loudly, "I'm sorry Skylar. I didn't mean to make a fool out of you or embarrass you at the bonfire. Hell, I didn't even know she was gonna be there, I swear. After I dropped you off, I went back to the bonfire and ended up having an argument with Leigh. I've cut her off because she was wrong for what she did to you, I know she intentionally did that to piss you off and it worked."

"I've missed you, Skylar. I don't think you understand how bad it sucks not being around you. I had gotten so use to being around you whenever I wanted to that when I knew that you wouldn't talk to me anymore, I felt like I had lost my favorite pet - not that I'm comparing you to a dog or anything it's just a metaphor." He clarified quickly, not wanting to upset me anymore.

I leaned my arms on the handle bars, covering my face with my hands, "I can't do this, Jack. I told you from the beginning that I don't want any drama and that's exactly what I'm getting. I can't handle this, I've had enough drama in my life. If this is what our friendship is like I can't even imagine if we actually took this 'relationship' to the next level." I said truthfully, using hand gestures and making sure to not make eye contact with me.

"Skylar," He breathed, "Don't do that. Don't cut me off completely over something like this." He beseeched.

I shook my head, "I don't think I have a choice."

"Don't have a choice?" He questioned, "That's exactly what you have! I've already lost you once I don't wanna lose you again. You were just beginning to warm up to me and be open with me, I don't wanna lose that connection." He told me.

"I mean't everything I've ever said to you, Skylar. I do really like you, I have since the first time we met at Sydney's party where I basically forced you to tak to me by blocking you from walking inside." He said, smiling faintly as he reminisced.

I ran my hands down my face, "Jack, I don't want drama in my life!" I exclaimed.

"And I'll try everything I can to avoid it but you gotta let me explain things first before you completely snap." He said, reaching over and grabbing my hand, "Skylar I still really like you. My feelings for my ex has nothing to do with you. My feelings for Leigh are going away - slowly but surely - and the more I hang out with you, I develop more for you. We've known each other for what? Two, almost three months and look at us. Already arguing like we're dating. We can't let something like this break us apart.

"But it already has, Jack! That's the problem." I told him, shaking my head and looking away from him. "We're not broken, we're just...bent. And what's bent can be fixed, you just gotta allow it to be fixed."

I clenched my jaw repeatedly, "I hate you. " I mumbled.

He looked hurt once I said that causing me to roll my eyes, "I didn't really mean it." I reassured him.

He sighed in relief and smiled, "Scared me there." He chortled, "So does this mean you're gonna give me chance to redeem myself?" He asked.

I looked at him and pursed my lips, "If you or something else messes this up, I don't think I'll be as generous." I warned him. He nodded and smiled, "So I have another shot?"

I rolled my eyes, "Jesus, Gilinsky. I guess so." I ran my hand through my hair.

Jack smiled wide and before he could say anything else, the ride had stopped. Soon we got off and was met with a confused face Alexis, Chase and tired-eyed Summer.

"What did I miss?" Alexis asked, pointing to Jack. I shook my head, "Long story, don't even ask."

Summer yawned and I picked her up, resting her on my hip.

She leaned her head on my shoulder, "Someone's tired." I smiled, brushing her hair out of her face.

She nodded and closed her eyes, wrapping her little arms around my neck.

"I think our time here has ended." I announced, hoisting her up on my hips higher.

Alexis nodded, "I agree, I'm tired too." She agreed.

I nodded, "Alright, let's get going." I turned towards Jack, "Bye." I mumbled.

"Hey wait, I know you changed your number so can I get your new one?" He asked.

"Here," Alexis said, "let me take her to the car while you guys finish up." She took Summer from my arms and walked towards the parking lot with Chase.

I grabbed Jacks phone from his hand and entered in my new number, handing it back to him, "Alright, well bye." I said, turning around and began walking away.

"Skylar wait!" He stopped me again.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, spinning around on the heels of my feet, 'What now, Jack?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"Can we hang out soon? And by soon I mean like tomorrow soon?" He asked, putting his hands in the front pockets of his black jeans.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why?' I blurted out.

Jack shrugged, "I just miss you." He said quietly.

I bit my bottom lip, feeling a little guilty. I went from completely irritated and despising his presence to feeling sorry and wanting to just hug him right then and there

It was weird, it kind of felt like no matter what he did, I don't think I could despise him for too long. I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't miss him but being my stubborn self, I kept my distance.

The fact that he put so much effort into trying to see me and begging me to forgive him said a lot about his character and his feelings for me. Maybe he really did like me as much as he said.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow." I agreed, putting my cold hands in my warm jacket pockets.

The smile on his face was warming and contagious, causing me to smile just as hard making me cover my face with my hand. Jack chuckled and stepped closer to me, grabbing my hand softly and pulling it away from my face.

He was close - not extremely close, but close enough. I had to look up to him since he hovered over me slightly.

His tall stature made my 5'6 and a half height feel like I was at-least 5'0. I nervously licked my lips and my breathing hitched in my throat. The way he looked in my eyes made my shiver faintly.

The next thing he said and the way he said it gave me instant butterflies.

"Don't cover your smile. You never know who may be falling for it."

God, what is this boy doing to me?