Step. Step. Step

Step.... Step..... Step.

The gravel no longer shifts under my feet.

Step.... Step..... Step.

The autumn leaves no longer crumble under my weight.

Step.... Step.... Step.

I have grown accustomed to make this sound as I walk.

Step.... Step.... Step.

It is easier this way.

It makes me feel human, which is something I have not felt in the longest time.

Step..... Step..... Step.

I am Major Alan Shrike, a Risaldar as you might call it. Or maybe you don't call it that. The vocabulary has changed a lot over the years. I suppose I am fairly out of touch with the ongoings of the present times, since I rarely have company.

Step..... Step..... Step

I have been guarding the barracks here for a while. The date on the newspaper I see strewn about on the walkway says that the year is 2017. So it has been over a 100 years I have been guarding this my station. Have a seat, I bet you were unaware that even ghosts get weary.

It has been so long since I kicked the bucket, that I no longer remember the rattling of my metaphorical pail. I don't remember my own death. I would like to think that I died a hero, trying to protect a fellow soldier. But there is no way to ascertain this. You see, I do not have access to archives, mainly because there aren't any. Honestly, there is very little I remember from the time I were alive. If it weren't for this uniform, I don't think I would know who I was. My name, designation and date of birth is clearly mentioned on my identity.

Maybe I had a family when I was alive, or perhaps I was alone. As I said I don't remember if I had ever taken a wife. But I do have a few memories of the past. I remember a face, but not a name. She was my boyhood love (I suppose). Back from when I had not started serving the Raj. You can call her whatever you want. Maybe it is a bit impudent of me, but she looked very 'homely'. I imagine she would have been named like she looked, a Martha or possibly a Meredith. Either way, I must have loved her or else she would not have been the only memory that I retain.

I have a few distinct memories of us. Walking past each other after Sunday mass. She looked very handsome in the corset that clearly managed to hide enough to make her look desirable. My boyhood standards were not as good as they are now. Letching at unsuspecting women for over a century has helped develop my tastes. Still, her face feels like home.

So, you must be wondering why I'm telling you all this. You see, I spent a better part of the last century hiding myself from the living. It got a bit lonely here since I didn't see any other of my kind. I thought just observing humans going about their day to day life would suffice and for a long time, it did. Alas, I am growing ever so greedy. I need more than just a distant glance. So I decided to show myself to you.

Now you might be wondering, why you? When I could have shown myself to anyone. Well, you look like her. Your face, bears a striking resemblance to her. When I first saw you walking by a month ago, I couldn't believe my eyes. I kept looking at you for the next few weeks to ascertain your likeness to her. The more I looked at you, the more you looked like her, and the more I felt like you were the home that I'm seeking.

But as I said before. I am a lot more greedy now. It is not enough to have you for all your mortal life. I want to be with you for eternity. So will you please be mine forever?

No! Don't look at me like that. I know I'm not asking too much of you. It's just a small thing. I spent so long being alone. I deserve this little bit of happiness.

Don't! Wait! It's just death. I'm here, a non-living proof of afterlife. And that is an eternal afterlife. We can be together forever. I will make you fall in love with me.

Stop! Don't struggle! It is just a little bit of pain, it will be over soon. You can't pry my hands off your neck.

It is futile, just give up. Yes, that's right. Give up. Hush now, go to sleep my love. You will awaken soon, to be mine, forever.

Shhhh, That's right. Go to sleep.

Hmm, it's done.

Come now, wake up. I'm waiting for ----
Oh what a brilliant light this is! My loneliness is at its end. Come, let us be together for an eternity.

Wait! Where's the light going?

No! Stop! Don't leave me here!

Please, I beg you, stay! Don't ascend. Please!

I'm alone. I am still, all alone.

Step........ Step..... Step......

Step..... Step....

Step....