Chapter 5 - Well aren't you happy?

Začít od začátku

My husband just raised a brow.

"Somehow."

"We must", Michael ran a hand across his face. "Duchesse de Beaumont."

"Oh stop it - I've barely gotten used to Mrs. Beaumont", I slapped his arm. Ellie pressed her nose against the spot.

"You think I would have ever thought of getting used to Duke de Beaumont? I thought maybe Leon would accept it, but then I see how he behaves and I know the chateau would go up in flames before Leon would become prim and proper. I understand why it fell back to me."

"Don't be so mean!"

"I'm just honest - you've never seen him when he's stressed", Michael muttered dead-pan. "I hoped oncle would have found somebody suitable, but the people always eyed me like a goddamn price."

"You are the eldest, after all", I mused.

"And from the direct bloodline. This whole ordeal, flaunting your wealth and status, is much more mom's thing but she messed that one up."

"Royally."

"Not a good time to joke around", Michael mumbled and silenced me with his lips. Sighed heavily afterwards.

"Hey, it will be alright. We'll go to work tomorrow and wait until they reach out to us. Then we'll see how things will go."

"One day at a time, good idea", he stretched and nudged me to move over. "Sorry Ellie, daddy wants to lie down too." Michael whistled for Hector to come.

"So much to the dogs will never be in the bed with us."

"If I could ever deny those puppy eyes", he laughed and laid his head onto my chest. Hunter spread himself over our legs, resting next to Ellie. "Read to me. Distract me."

"Well, aren't they fast", I mumbled as the email popped up. It wasn't even 8 am yet.

Michael stepped out the office, as always without his jacket, with his mug and a handful of files tucked underneath his arm. Today's choice was a deep blue suit with a waistcoat in the same colour - one thing that made me weak was when his sleeves were rolled up; then add a waistcoat to his amazing figure and you had me at my breaking point. He could make one cheeky suggestion and I would melt in his goddamn arms.

"Could you file these for me? Also, I need you to make an appointment with Mrs. Murray to discuss further details on the financial situation they are in. I don't know what on earth she wants to change, everything looks fine to me."

"I think that needs to wait", I drew out and got up. It was best to give him more work, because if he didn't have any, he pestered me. "I forwarded you an email." I took the mug and files from his hands and nudged him back to his office. I ran the coffee machine, placed the files into the cabin and counted the seconds.

By the last file, an impressive chin rested on my shoulder. "Goddammit."

"They are fast", I agreed, thinking 'as are you'. "Coffee's done."

"I don't care about caffeine right now", Michael grumbled. "They want us in Paris in two days."

"Already?", I asked surprised, swirling around. "Then I'll have to postpone the lunch on Wednesday, ask for the meeting tomorrow even if it's on short notice-"

Michael stifled back a laugh. "You are more worried about my timetable?"

"I'm your secretary", I reminded him, rolling my eyes. "Somebody has to be and somebody has to change it. Anyways. How long do they want us to stay?"