Aviri’s marbled red eyes gazed thoughtfully upward, as she recounted the facts of Rodia. Like all Ishtoni, Aviri gesticulated eloquently with her six-fingered hands as she spoke. Occasionally Aviri would pause in mid sentence, as if her thoughts were coming to her from a great distance. She had one of the most perceptive minds of any Council member, and Trajan had learned better than to mistake this quirk for mental slowness.

“The Rodian authorities may find their current position... difficult. The corruption of the Rodian state is infamous throughout the galaxy... and faith in the government is low. Savaged by the financial crisis, Rodia found itself slashing government programs to stay solvent...programs that its ruling elites relied upon for social stability. Krul contends that humanity is to blame... and this will hold sway with many Rodians. Human worlds were typically the creditors in the financial crisis.”

Throughout the exchange, Trajan did not lose his poise. Anticipating K’nok’s objections, he had spoken to Aviri before this meeting to be certain that he would have an ally. Aviri was quick and capable, a credit both to the Jedi and non-human species in the galaxy. Trajan wondered how someone as competent as her had ever been allowed into the ranks of the Jedi High Council between Wendell’s dithering and K’nok’s paralytic protests. But how did he get admitted then? The galaxy had its mysteries.

Trajan knew that the Council’s reflex towards building consensus meant that Aviri’s agreement was key. Seeing that he had won the first point, Trajan pressed his advantage.

“Pre-emptive intervention is needed to protect the hostages, but will be impossible by the Rodian state. The Rodian authorities will be unable to avoid the accusation that they did not give negotiations a chance -- instead they served as Republic lap dogs to preserve human hostages.”

“Will they not be accused of being Republic lapdogs if we intervene? Your plan is poorly thought through indeed, General Trajan,” K’nok chided.

Trajan paused a moment, considering K’nok intently. “So you posit that the Rodian state will limp onward if we are patient. But you are mistaken. The question is not whether or not the Rodian state will fail. Its failure is imminent.” A murmur of disapproval went through the council. “The question is whether we are going to allow these hostages to perish while the state is in its dying throes.”

“Have you considered how many Rodians will die from an all out civil war? Would it not be better to find peaceful ways to transition the state to an inclusive political process? The Republic has many private/public partnership programs--”

“--such as Skywalker Enterprises,” Trajan interrupted, “which up until today was held up as a shining beacon of hope for the Rim worlds. Is this how we appreciate Jerod and Lucinda Skywalker’s dedication to the Republic? By allowing them to be executed at the hands of terrorists?”

“What evidence do you have that Krul plans a mass execution?” 

“His behavior. He let hundreds of hostages go, but not one of them was human. The vast majority of the fifty or so hostages remaining are human, with a few so-called “perpetrators with the enemy.”  When Krul’s most recent holostream was manipulated by cyber pirates, he executed two hostages until the pirates backed down. From there he immolated an innocent doctor in a farcical trial. If this isn't enough, Master K'nok, how many happy endings for terrorist trials can you give me?”

 “So this is about saving humans, General Trajan?”

“Yes - this is about saving living beings who happen to be human. Consider also Krul’s demands -- cleansing Rodia of humanity, abolishing Rodia’s debt, seceding from the Republic -- are so outlandish that there is not a chance they will be granted. Yet the Rodian authorities hold back, precisely because they are afraid of the political consequences of saving humans. This gives Krul time, as each holostream infects Krul’s poisonous ideas throughout the Rodian populace. And the trial of the Skywalkers at 14:00 Rodia time tomorrow is his opportunity to deliver a final statement. What more powerful a statement could he make, than the group execution of the human hostages on the holonet?”

“Master Trajan, I find your reasoning compelling.” Ever the mediator, Master Wendell spoke in conciliatory tones and bent his bald head ever so slightly in deference.  Trajan secretly despised this spineless, wavering man. “Yet reason takes many twists and turns before it finds the truth, and there are wide differences of opinion within the Council. Let us consult Master Yoda.”

Trajan bit his tongue. Would Master Wendel ever make an executive decision? Yoda hadn't been on the council for almost a decade, preferring instead to train Jedi recruits. Yet whenever Master Wendel faced a decision, he insisted on consulting the old fossil.

Yoda’s wizened visage flickered into being, as his holo appeared in the center of the dais. Master Wendel opened his mouth to explain the situation, when General Trajan interrupted him. “Master Yoda,” Trajan hastened, “Ten years ago, I petitioned this Council to allow Jedi to be more active in the affairs of this galaxy. With the Council’s approval, I chose to serve as an officer in the Republic military, a position which proved invaluable for coordinating Jedi efforts during the clone wars. The galaxy needs us again now. Terrorists have captured Skywalker Enterprises' headquarters on Rodia. If we do not act now, the remaining hostages will be executed within 30 hours’ time.” 

“Master Yo--” K’nok began to speak, but Master Yoda raised one clawed hand to forestall further debate. “Seen too the holos I have, no further explanation do I need. Clouded with the dark side Krul’s mind is. Act now, and save many hostages you could. But too swiftly you move. Cause planet Rodia to boil over you would. Like it you may not, but wait we must.”

“Rodia has already boiled over.” Trajan said coldly. 

Wendell used this moment to mediate an end to the debate. “Master Yoda has spoken, and it is time for us to put aside the airs of debate, and forge together the way forward. We now move to the vote.”

“Those abstaining...” The human Wendell, and a dithering alien master decided to forego judgment, Trajan noted.

“Those against...” K’nok, three aliens and two xeno-loving humans sided against Trajan. He sighed. Despite his best efforts, the Council continued to prefer ponderous debate and plodding planning. Only imminent galactic crises moved them to send the occasional Jedi strike force. Why not shape galactic events to their own ends, instead of responding to them?

“And those for...” Trajan counted himself, Aviri, Jorus, and another human master. He had hoped for more, especially from the human contingent on the High Council. But such were the times he lived in.

“The Council has voted. May the Force be with us.”

“May the Force be with us,” said the Council members, repeating the invocation. Trajan’s eyes examined the members of the Council, nodding slowly, as if answering a longheld question. Then, he turned swiftly, and marched out.

***** Thanks for reading -- remember to vote and make comments! *****