He Believes I Deserve Someone Better

[Kady POV]

            I awake the next morning with a terrible case of bed hair and a back cramp. As my eyes flutter open I am faced to Luke’s broad chest. He seems to still be asleep because of the deep and steady breathing.

 Although I felt a little crampy I was warm and all around comfortable. The fan above us was on the highest level and without Luke by my side I’d be freezing. I never keep my fan on anything past the medium setting.

Luke’s arms are wrapped around my upper torso and our legs intertwined. If someone were to look in on us it might seem bad but we were really sleeping together in the most innocent sense. I inhaled his scent and snuggled closer trying to fall back asleep because I was not really ready to face today.

I hear my phone behind me ringing softly breaking my thoughts and forcing me to get up for real. I reach around behind my back searching for my phone, and when I do eventually find it I answer on the third ring without looking at the caller id.

“Hello Honey!” My mom says her cheery voice penetrating my sleepy haze.

“Hi” I reply, my voice still hoarse and slow from just waking up

“It’s your mother”

I sigh and rub my eyes, and sit up some “wow really? I didn’t know”

“Please, I am in no mood for your sarcasm”

“Sorry” I mutter

“So I was calling to inform you your father and I will be coming home next weekend”

“Oh yea for how long?”

“At least a couple weeks” She replies. Yeah, like I haven’t heard that before.

            My mother claims that she and my dad will stay home for more than a week but they never do. Something comes up or a new client contacts them and within a few days they jet off to the next project.

 Jason and I have walked this road a few times and we know not to get our hopes up for their supposed “several weeks” stay. What do Jason and I get out of all of this?

No rules and some sweet t-shirts but truthfully I’d trade that all in for some parental figures and guidance. Jason and I could really go off the rails and I wish someone was there to help us get back on.

“Yay” I reply, yawning and rubbing my eyes.

“Wow you seem so happy that your parents are coming home” My mother says a little hurt

“no I am, I’m just super tired”

“Oh! Good and my god its 10 o’ clock, go clean something”

“Okay mom”

“Love you see you soon”

“Love you too” I sigh, ending that god awful phone call. I love my mother I really do just deep deep down. She was really annoying and sometimes a terrible mom, I don’t know why she decided to have kids.

I groan quietly and lie back down, I was not thrilled for their return I never am. Yes I realize I said I wanted parents at home but maybe just… not mine.

“Was that your mom?” Luke whispers in my ear, I jump slightly but continue to lie on my back, staring as the fan turns wildly above me.

“Yep”

“Great” he replies, voice dripping with sarcasm.

            Luke knew all about the Cooper family life because he practically is family. It was sad though because despite how close he was to us and how much he knew about the drama I hadn’t got a clue what went on with him.