I Promise

Han, Leia, Chewbacca and Poe stood behind a piece of stone wall, shooting down all of the stormtroopers who came near. A group of three stormtroopers approached, Chewbacca rose over the stone wall and growled as he fired his bow caster at them. He managed to get all three stormtroopers with one blast from the high powered bow caster.

Han looked at the three downed stormtroopers in amazement. "Can I borrow that?" he asked Chewbacca.

Chewbacca growled and handed over the bow caster.

Han aimed it at two stormtroopers approaching from the left. The blast was powerful enough to send them flying a few meters back.

Suddenly they heard the sound of footsteps coming up behind them, they all turned to face intruder, aiming their weapons at him.

"Finn!" Poe said, relieved.

Finn looked around, his eyes scanning the debris with obvious concern. "Where's Rey?"

Han shrugged. "We don't know, Ben went to look for her." Despite his outward calm, there was the smallest trace of worry in his voice. A few days ago he wouldn't have understood this feeling, this feeling of an indescribable concern for someone other than Leia. But he was a father now, and he felt a sense of duty to protect both his son, and the girl. He felt that he had failed already and as much as he had doubted in the past, he found himself begging the Force to keep them safe.

He looked through the ruins of the palace hoping for some sign of them. Then he spotted a group of stormtroopers dragging an unconscious form onto a shuttle. It was Ben, he had to do something he couldn't just let them take his son. He ran forward, ready to fight the stormtroopers if need be. "Ben!" he screamed, but it was useless, the boy was out cold. Before Han had a chance to do anything, they had already loaded him into the shuttle and sealed the door closed. It didn't stop him from firing at the shuttle, attempting to stop it. But the shuttle was well shielded and at this distance it didn't do any good.

Han was forced to watch as the shuttle left, taking his son away. He felt a strange emptiness in his heart, he had only met Ben a few days ago and he had already lost him again.

He looked back at Leia, he had never seen her so concerned. He could even see a small trace of tears in her eyes, she'd never been one for tears not even when her planet was destroyed, her whole world had been taken from her and she lost everyone she knew and loved. But she was a mother now, and Ben was her whole world, and it had been taken from her. Han went over and wrapped his arms his wife.

"We'll get him back sweetheart, I promise," he spoke gently. She nodded as he gently stroked her back.

"Rey?" Finn called in a whisper.

"Where?" Han asked.

Finn pointed to a figure emerging from the forest and creeping towards one of the shuttles.

They all watched as she slowly made her way to an empty shuttle.

"Rey!" Finn called quietly, but she couldn't hear him, she slipped into the shuttle. Finn turned to Han. "What is she doing, Solo?"

Han looked at the shuttle, watching as it began to fill up with stormtroopers. "Going after Ben," he said.

"She's got courage, I'll give her that," said Poe.

"But what good will it do if she gets herself killed?" Finn asked.

Han heard something coming. He looked up to see a group of TIE fighters flying low towards them. "Get down!" he called, ducking beneath the stone wall. He pulled Leia down with him, holding her close to his chest.

Finn, Poe and Chewbacca dropped beneath the stone wall just in time as the TIE fighters opened fire on them. The stone wall was thick enough to protect them from the blasts.

"This place is completely overrun, how are we going to make it out of here?" Poe asked. "I have never wished for an X-wing more than I do right now."

No sooner than he spoke the words, a group of X-wings seemed to come out of nowhere and began opening fire on the TIE fighters.

"It's the Resistance!" Leia exclaimed.

"How did they find us?" Han wonder aloud.

"I called them," they turned to see Maz approaching behind them.

"Well thank the Force that they came when they did," said Poe. "This wall won't hold for much longer."

Just then, a Resistance shuttle landed nearby. The doors opened and Resistance fighters began to pour out. Two young women with dark hair and dark eyes approached. They both wore yellow Resistance uniforms, and they wore matching necklaces shaped like crescent moons.

"Is everyone alright?" the oldest of the two asked.

"Most of us are... but the First Order took Ben," said Leia.

"Don't worry, General we'll get him back," a young lieutenant with blond hair reassured her. 

Leia nodded. "I hope so."

Han wrapped his arms around her. "We will, I promise. I won't let them hurt our son, Leia."

Leia took a deep breath and leaned against his chest. "I know, Han," she answered.