Old Pain

"The wolf in me... is gone."

Seoho's words kept replaying in Luella's mind like a music box she kept compulsively winding.

Almost as soon as he spoke them, Seoho rushed off away from the house, away from Luella. She had so many questions to ask, but he didn't want to answer any of them. He left her with those words and a hundred questions that kept her from sleeping at all that night.

What did it mean? Was he speaking metaphorically? Luella knew little about the truth of what they were. She only knew that they told her they were possessed by spirits of wolves.

If the wolf was gone, what did that mean?

He said he left his people. What consequences would they bring?

She sat upright when a possibility struck her that sent a panic coursing through her chest. If Seoho was no longer a part of the original tribe, the immortal tribe, did that mean that he had become mortal?

Did he sacrifice his immortality because of her?

Luella turned to bury her face into her pillow. These men were going to drive her crazy; she was sure of it. It was hard to believe that he would do something so drastic. She didn't think that she was that important to him.

Then again, their feelings were less than apparent. They would get so close, then pull away entirely, leaving her feeling longing and emptiness.

Youngjo kissed her then never touched her again. He barely even spoke to her.

Seoho came and went just as sporadically. One day he would get close, and the next he would avoid her at all costs.

The only people who stayed close to her consistently were Keonhee, Hwanwoong, and Dongju. They were always at her side when they were near, always there to cheer her up and comfort her. They were true friends, and they didn't confuse her like the other two.

Gunhak just didn't get close to her, but at least he was consistent about it.

"The wolf," she repeated in a soft whisper, "is gone?"

No one else seemed to know about this as far as she could see. Surely someone who have mentioned it if that had known. Then again, it wasn't as if she could understand their native language anyways. Maybe they did mention it, but she just had no clue.

If that was the case, could she bring it up to Youngjo? Seoho didn't tell her if it was a secret or not, but something about it felt secretive. He hesitated to even tell her though she pestered him about it, so she doubted that he bothered to tell anyone else.

Luella squeezed her eyes shut and tried once more to fall asleep. It wasn't until the sun was already peeking over the horizon, slipping through the shutters over her window, that she finally faded away into a forced slumber.

●}○{●

"Dongju, have you seen Luella?"

Keonhee slowly roasted the rabbit he caught outside that morning over a small fire. He figured Luella would need some breakfast after she woke, and he was happy to oblige.

Because of the spirits within them, they were able to eat raw meat, even preferred it, so he needed to get into the habit of cooking since they had a new housemate.

"I heard her breathing in her room when I passed by," Dongju shrugged his shoulders. "I guess she's still sleeping."

"What about Seoho?"