Little Touches

Youngjo spent the next two days planning with the others, especially Gunhak. They knew they needed to get Luella and Seoho out of that manor and far away from Anisa and the tribe in order for them to be safe. It was the only way to avoid more pain and death.

Even though they understood what they had to do, it was no easy task. Anisa had an entire tribe of people at her back, ready to fight and die for her. Ready to kill for her. They respected Seoho because tradition called for him to be the chief of the tribe, the leader and general.

Although he didn't want that position, they wouldn't hurt him because he rightfully owned it.

Everyone else was fair game. Luella was especially an easy target, considering her fragility and mortality. She was human, and the tribe wasn't. Anisa knew that she was important to Seoho and the others as well, which made her want to hurt Luella even more.

Thankfully, Gunhak had a plan. It was dangerous, so much so that they almost expected to lose someone along the way. Youngjo himself offered to take on the most dangerous role in the plan, which might result in his death. But death was nothing to him if it meant saving Luella, Seoho, and the others from falling into Anisa's clutches.

Unfortunately, in order for the plan to work, Luella needed to be able to ride a horse. Before they could set the plan into motion, she needed to take a couple of days to heal enough to be able to stand the violent motion of a galloping horse. For those two days, the Bahleen men had to be on absolute alert, with at least two or three awake and near Luella at all times.

Hwanwoong didn't mind it. He was happy to spend more time with her, and she seemed happy to have someone to cheer her up.

They stayed up alone in the parlor room the second night. Luella sat on the piano bench, while Hwanwoong danced playfully next to it. She played the piano badly, trying to remember what Keonhee taught her but failing.

It didn't seem to matter that she was playing out of tune. Hwanwoong's silly movements and expressions made her laugh, which was all that mattered to him. It was such a sweet sound, so innocent and pure, whenever she laughed like that.

Her smile and giggles were contagious. Hwanwoong couldn't help but laugh along with her. Even though there was a language barrier between them still, humor transcended it.

They didn't need to speak the same language to laugh at the same things, and that was part of the reason Hwanwoong set out to make her smile with his dramatic dancing to her made-up composition.

After a little while though, he noticed her start to wince each time she shifted on the piano bench. Overtime, it became more and more uncomfortable for her to sit upright, as if the pain crept in slowly the longer she sat there, tapping her fingers aimlessly against the piano keys.

Eventually, Hwanwoong stopped dancing so he could address it.

"Rest," he told her, holding out his hand for her to take. "Come."

Luella didn't have it in her to argue, so she laid her little hand in his and let him help her up to her feet. He walked her over to the sofa, then waited for her to lay down on her own. Once she sank into the soft cushions of the old parlor sofa, he brought over an extra pillow to prop up her head, then laid a blanket over her legs.

"You don't have to do all of this for me," she sighed, feeling a little helpless. Laying down took some of the pressure off of her back and provided a bit of instant relief.