- power & responsibility -

Start from the beginning

"Something's going on," she said, her back relaxing against the door as Peter, who had luckily just pulled on his sweatpants, was staring at her expectantly.

"Ever considered knocking?" he mumbled, his face getting red as he met her frantic gaze. "What?" He demanded, cocking his head. When she didn't reply, he repeated, "what?"

"Do you remember," she started, but then cut herself off and ran her hands through her hair. "Do you remember when everyone came over for dinner last night?"

Dinner last night? Probably not life or death, then, Peter decided, taking a deep breath while sitting down on the corner of his bed.

"With Connor and Cooper?" he asked, his eyebrows furrowing when Elenora just nodded anxiously, not moving from the door. "And Harley and Bridgit - mandatory team rehab, how I could forget?"

The joke did not land with Elenora.

She kept pressing. "And do you remember when we said it was unfair that we were not being kept in the loop?"

Alright, knowing Elenora, this was quickly approaching life or death.

"Uh-huh," Peter stressed, urging her to go on as his arms crossed over his chest.

Simply, and softly, Elenora stated, "We did something."

"Did what?"

"You have to understand that I know the consequences, Peter - and I get it - and yeah, maybe this is like the end of the world, it seemed like, but ya know, even if Uncle Tony banned us from patrol, we are like two years away from eighteen and - you know, Charles will totally let us get with the X-Men, they're so much more chill about-"

"About?" Peter repeated, feeling his heart race and his stomach start to churn. His arms wrapped around his waist as he demanded, "What did you do, Elenora?"

"So, um, as a team, we may have sorta, kinda, I guess, gotten involved."

"And?"

"Broken into federal custody. And stole a prisoner."

"You what?" Peter demanded, sharp pain in his chest as he did.

"After dinner, Cooper sent out this text, and it basically, he overheard some information about where Marcellus was being held and that just, well, the night ended with this big avengers meeting being called - you know, without us - and basically Cooper stealing his dad's car and showing up at my house and I was in the bathroom, so I don't know what he did or said to Connor, but suddenly he was in a car, on his way to break into federal custody-"

Peter cut her off, "Where is he now?"

"Connor is currently in an abandoned warehouse with Marcellus, Pietro, and Marley, and we're pretty sure we've got about three hours until Nick Fury is on our tail so please, please - I know you're recovering- but please, be the guy in the chair with me."

***

ELENORA NEVER LIKED PLAYING THE GUY IN THE CHAIR, but it's what she got for using the bathroom.

(She was just trying to stay hydrated - this was unfair.)

And even though both she and Peter wanted to be with the action, in the eye of the storm, they were pretty good at this control center thing.

Basically, Elenora and Peter were scrambling for time, and as the two of them formed a communication wire with Copper, Harley, and Bridgit, Elenora explained what exactly was going on with Connor and Marcellus and the others.