- birthday bash -

what's up, guys?

like and comment, please!

ELENORA DIDN'T CELEBRATE BIRTHDAYS

Not since she was nine, anyway. That was the last time she could recall. Ms.Barkely was really nice, one of the best foster moms El ever had, and even with the limited income and towering bills, she had gotten Elenora and lemon cupcake with a single candle. Ms.Barkely only had enough money for one, but Elenora didn't mind sharing with her.

That was the only place Elenora was an only foster child.

But two weeks after that, Jacob found her. Then she ran. Elenora was transferred to another foster home, and the cycle continued.

But this year things would not repeat themselves.

Elenora remembered her birthday, that much is believable. She had memorized that date the first time she was transferred because she knew it was a date no one else would remember for her. Not if she moved around so much.

August 26th was ingrained into Elenora's head, and when she woke up that sunny morning, it wasn't like she didn't know it was her birthday.

But she didn't expect anything. She had learned not to.

When she got up on August 26th, Elenora brushed her teeth. She took a shower and got dressed. At approximately nine-thirty, she was in the hallway, heading to the laundry room with dirty towels and her pajamas.

Still half asleep, Elenora offered Steve and Bucky, who were sitting at the kitchen table, a half smile.

Both of them offered one back but exchanged a look when she disappeared to the laundry room.

Eventually, Elenora remerged from the washing machine, heading straight for the refrigerator.

Bucky coughed, and Elenora pulled her eyes away from her yogurt options to give him her attention.

Much to her surprise, Bucky was dressed for the day. He was in jeans and a nice shirt, and Elenora wasn't sure she'd ever seen him ready before eleven, excluding mission days. She tried not to put all of her attention her his clothes and met his eyes again.

"You alright, Doll? You seem awful quiet," Bucky mentioned as he reached for his mug, eyeing Elenora suspiciously.

She chose a strawberry yogurt and shrugged, turning back to him.

"Well," Bucky said, raising his eyebrows at Steve, who was motioning him to stop being mean. "Apparently sixteen-year-olds don't speak to their dads anymore."