- masked heroes and masked feelings -

there's just a lot going on in here. originally, ya'll were gonna have a love confession scene, but doesn't angst sound good too?

(it's coming soon, i promise.)

 COMMENT AND VOTE LOVELIES :)

GOING HOME AFTER A MENTAL BREAKDOWN wasn't as bad as Elenora thought it'd be

GOING HOME AFTER A MENTAL BREAKDOWN wasn't as bad as Elenora thought it'd be. To be honest, she didn't know what to expect as she fit her key into the lock, twisting it while sending one last grateful look to Peter Parker.

Were Bucky and Steve gonna be angry she left the tower? Probably not, she decided. She was with Peter. And running out of the building felt like an understandable action after getting your saddest secret told to everyone you tried to hide it from. Were they gonna ask a million questions? Hopefully not.

When they heard the door creak open, Bucky and Steve tried their best to not leap off the couch, and they succeeded, only shuffling as Elenora entered the house. Knowing he was right behind the almost closed door, Steve called out, "Thank you, Peter."

Bucky said, "Hey, Doll."

Elenora's voice was softer than she'd ever remembered hearing it before as she said, "Hi." It was breathy. Shallow. Almost like she'd never said it at all. Routinely, she dropped her practice bag in the closet, pulling out her gym clothes so she could add them to the laundry. Elenora hoped that such a routine act would make herself and her dads forget about the incident before.

It did nothing of the sort.

As Elenora came back from the washer and dryer down the hall, she could tell Bucky and Steve were desperately trying to act like they didn't have a thousand things they wanted to tell her.

A part of Elenora wanted to hear it. She wanted to know what they would have done if they knew and what action they saw as justice and what they thought Elenora deserved. She wanted to hear everything that she'd waited a lifetime for someone to tell her.

But the other part of her wanted nothing of the sort. It didn't want their pity or their love because what happened that night, what they saw didn't change anything. They loved her. A stupid memory of a stupid person shouldn't change anything.

But of course, it did.

Because whether or not Elenora wanted to hear it, whether or not she wanted to know, Steve would have never let her live there if he had known. Every time that lonely Steve went to check on his daughter, she was fine. He'd seen her once with Jacob; they were playing tag. When Elenora was six, he visited again, and this time, his daughter was smiling at a younger boy as they two of the played hopscotch. And again as she was 9, her hair past her shoulders and nearly to her waist, she was happy with her small instrument and a big voice, singing for some other kids. She was excited when she was 12, and ok when she was 13. And then 14, when she was with him.