Chapter 9- Servant or Friend?

Hi! Sorry, yesterday my Internet was being a pain. All the trees in my area. Thank you for reading, now here's~

Chapter 9

The full power of the Bifrost was being unleashed by Loki. The energy was turning into ice, and were it not that my most powerful force was energy and the fact that an entire realm was being destroyed, I’d find it was beautiful. However, both were true, and I felt pure terror.

Thor landed behind me and walked in. Loki spitefully told him, “You can’t stop it. The Bifrost will only grow until it rips Jotunheim apart.” Ignoring Loki’s words, Thor moved forward with Mjolnir and tried to slam it against the tree of ice that the Bifrost created. Before his hammer hit, however, Loki shot him with his staff.

“Loki, please stop.” I begged, grabbing his arm and trying to pull him out. He just pushed me off, sending me an irritated glare.

“Why have you done this?” Thor asked pleadingly.

“To prove to Father that I am a worthy son. When he awakes, I will have saved his life, I will have destroyed that race of monsters, and I will be true heir to the throne.”

“You can’t kill an entire race.” Thor told him. I could nearly see his bleeding heart through his eyes and voice.

“Why not?” Loki whispered with a breathy chuckle, stepping closer. “And what is this new found love of Frost Giants? You could have killed them all with your bare hands.” Loki stopped just out of arm’s reach.

“I’ve changed.”

“So have I.” With his scepter, Loki smacked Thor across the face. “Now fight me.”

“LOKI THIS IS INSANE!” I yelled at him as he struck Thor again.

“SHUT UP, WOMAN!” he yelled at me before turning to Thor. “I never wanted the throne! I only wanted to be your equal.

“I WILL NOT FIGHT YOU BROTHER!”

“I am not your brother. I never was.”

“Loki this is madness.” Thor reminded.

“Is this madness? Is it? Is it?! What on Earth happened to you… to turn you… so… soft. Don’t tell me it was that woman.” Thor gave no response. “Oh. It was. Well maybe, when we’re finished here, I’ll pay her a visit myself.”

This made Thor snap. He threw himself at Loki, who followed in kind. It was all I could do to shield my vision. I was useless in this. Loki was too far gone for reason or even bribery.

I listened to the clashing of metal at the two brothers fought. When I heard a crash, I allowed myself to look to see the two had made a hole through the Bifrost and were now on the bridge. I made to get out, something inside telling me not to be in there, but the dome began sparking. I had no means of escape, being too exhausted to use magic.

I heard the sound of a hundred Loki’s laughing before a loud, “ENOUGH!” from Thor. I felt the vibrations of Mjolnir hitting the rainbow bridge and I knew that Loki was now either on his back or stomach in pain.

I crouched to see Loki with Mjolnir on his chest as Thor stepped closer, obviously meaning to take out the Bifrost.

“Thor…Astrid…She’s…”

“Astrid, I suggest getting yourself out of there with the magic Loki’s been teaching you.”

“I can’t. I don’t have the strength.” I answered just loud enough he could hear me. “Do it anyway.”

“Thor. Thor, please!” Loki pleaded. When Thor continued closer, Loki tried to lift the hammer off himself, but couldn’t. “THOR! Don’t!”

“Do it, Thor! So much more is at stake!” I yelled. While I may have sounded convincing, the knowing of death had tears streaming down my face.

The Bifrost began to overpower and it tried to suck me in, but I held onto the main control unit. I wouldn’t go. Not yet. Loki, who could see from the outside what was happening, told Thor “Look at you. The mighty Thor. Well with all your strength…” He held back a scream, the weight of Mjolnir crushing him. “Do you hear me, Brother? There’s nothing you can do!”

I heard the flying of Thor’s mighty hammer and then felt the Bifrost fall ever so slightly as he must have hit the bridge with the tool. As he hit it more, I felt it falling more. I whimpered slightly, hating the feeling of death breathing on my neck.

“What are you doing?” Loki asked in disbelief. “IF YOU DESTROY THE BRIDGE YOU’LL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN!” Loki screamed, talking about Thor and Jane. “AND WHAT OF ASTRID?! HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN YOUR LOYALTIES?!”

“DO IT, THOR!” I yelled. In response, I felt the vibrations of another hit.

“Forgive me, Jane, Astrid.” Thor said before making one last strike. I screamed, but it did not last. Before my eyes, Frigga knelt down and helped me stand while Odin got onto Sleipnir. The All-Father lifted me onto the eight-legged beast as he rode off the middle of the bridge where his sons were.

“I’m sorry, my lord. I tried. I tried so hard to stop this madness, but…”

“Do not worry. These actions could not have been stopped by anyone but Loki.”

I shook my head as I watched the explosion start to settle “This is too slow… We’ll never make it at this rate.” I heard the sound of Loki screaming as he fell. “I hope I live…” With what little energy I had I teleported Odin so he was at the edge of what little bridge was left.

At this point, I forced myself to stay awake as I rode Sleipnir at top speed. When I arrived, I heard Loki yell, his voice cracking, “…done it! For you! For all of us!”

“No, Loki.” Odin replied, the disappointment evident.

“Loki, no.” I heard Thor say pleadingly. I stumbled over the edge, to see what was happening. When I got there Loki was already at the end.

“Loki!” was all I managed out before he fell, my heart with him.

“NO~!” Thor yelled and I screamed.

“No.” Odin whispered, the grief evident. That was all the push I needed. I made to jump down, to re-capture Loki, to figure out some way to bring him back from the whirlpool of stars where the Bifrost fell, but Odin stopped me.

“It’s too late. Do not sacrifice yourself for it would be a waste.”

I shook uncontrollably, but helped Odin pull Thor back up. The man who I have seen cry few times clung to me like Loki had not four days ago. For him, I forced myself not to cry. Not yet. Loki was my friend, but Thor was his brother. He needed the comfort right now more than I did.

The man I’ve served for centuries is gone, but until the one who lives is fine enough, I shall not shed a tear.