Healing Center Keefe's POV

It started out dark. Then, the light came. It was so bright, it blinded Keefe. He thought it would burn him but then it went away. The darkness returned and consumed everything. Memories started coming to Keefe. Painful memories. 

His mother stabbing his hand. His father snapping at him. The Vackers laughing and getting along. His family fighting with him. Keefe wanted to cry. His pain was started to come out. 

Don't let them hurt you. Don't let them get you. Don't let them win. Don't listen. Don't show weakness. Ignore the pain. Keefe told himself over and over. It was how he survived. 

Keefe. We need you, a voice called. It repeated its plea but all it did was bring a new wave of memories, more painful than the last.

Attending Sophie's planting. Alden talking to Keefe. Sophie kissing Fitz. 

Pain overcame Keefe. He started giving in to it. It didn't matter. Nothing mattered. The voice had stopped talking. 

The voice started bringing its own memories. Silveny and Keefe's midterm gift for Sophie. But Keefe ignored them. That was what his world used to be. His world was just pain now. He didn't need that. 

Something warm started dripping onto Keefe's face and something soft traced his face. They touched his lips. 

The voice started pleading, I need you. Something touched his lips. No, not something. Someone. More of the warmth dripped onto his face. Sophie. She was kissing him. Keefe woke up and started fighting the pain. His pain couldn't control him. It would only be his world if he let it be his world. 

Keefe became conscious and kissed Sophie back. Did she really like him? No, no way. She liked Fitz. But they broke up. Keefe decided Sophie didn't really mean it and was about to tease her when she strangled him in a hug.

"It's nice to see you too, Foster," his voice was soft and hoarse. Warmth soaked his tunic and Keefe realized Sophie was crying. 

"It's more than nice to see you, Keefe. It's been 3 days."  Sophie looked genuinely happy but also worried. 

"Thank you, Foster." Keefe hoped he also looked happy.

"Why?" Sophie demanded.

"Because you didn't give up on me. Even when I had," Keefe reached up to check his hair. "I guess this is the second favor I owe you."

"How about you listen to me and next time, don't run into a fight after promising to stay at home?"

Hmm, it seemed like Sophie did care. 

This was too confusing. He sighed and nodded. "I'm sorry. For everything."

Sophie grabbed one of his hands. "It's not your fault that your parents are so awful. I probably would've done the same thing."

"Really?" Keefe raised an eyebrow. That was interesting. "The Mysterious Miss F would break a promise to a close friend, an overprotective bodyguard, part of the Collective, and the Council?"

"Of course. I'd want to take down the Neverseen too. And your mom betrayed you pretty badly."

Keefe whistled. "I'm a bad influence on you."

Sophie shook her head. "No, you're not."

"I'm not so sure about that," replied another voice. Grady, Edaline, Biana, Fitz, Dex, Linh, Tam, Alden, Tiergan, Elwin, Ro, and Sandor stood, watching them. Keefe guessed they saw they kiss but didn't react. Sophie, on the other hand, blushed. She really had cared. Keefe looked away to make sure Sophie couldn't guess what was going through his head.

Elwin came to the rescue. "You'll need to take some elixirs now that you're awake, Keefe."

"Like, the disgusting kind or the really disgusting kind?" Keefe thought back to when Sophie had shadowflux in her.

"The really disgusting kind." Elwin grinned. Oh no.

Keefe regretted becoming conscious. "Oh man. If I had known reality was going to be terrible, I wouldn't have let Foster wake me up."

Ro snorted. "At least we know you're still the same Lord Hunkyhair."

Keefe messed up his hair to make sure the Hair was perfect. "That will never change."

Alden was thoroughly surprised which made Keefe feel pretty good. He was wrong after all. Sophie looked over at Keefe and he mouthed, Later.

Elwin set a tray of elixirs next to Keefe and started flashing lights around Keefe and asking him questions. 

He closed his eyes tightly as Elwin tipped a vial down his throat. As Keefe swallowed the contents, he shuddered and Ro snickered. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to let the ogre in the room? 

Sophie left but Keefe noticed she didn't look at Fitz. He had to suppress a grin when he looked at the Vackers. Alden was shocked and Fitz was furious. 

Looked like things were finally going his way.