Moving On

Sophie went to school the next day. She was happy Keefe was finally getting out of the Healing Center. She hoped he didn't already get detention. But if anyone could get detention on their first day back, it was Keefe. 

Sophie anxiously waited for lunch, hoping Keefe would tell her about his supposed new ability. Sophie really, really, really hoped Keefe wasn't a Pyrokinetic. That would be terrible. 

Slowly and painfully, lunch came. Sophie spotted Keefe at their table. She walked over, sat next to him, and quickly hugged him. After she pulled away, Keefe held her hand.

"Hey, Foster. It's good to be back," Keefe said. Sophie realized that Tam, Linh, Biana, and Dex were watching her. Biana and Linh had the decency to not react. Dex stared at them and Tam sighed. 

There was a low noise, like a small stream of wind. It took Sophie a moment to realize that people were whispering. Then she noticed that a lot of people were staring at her. Including Fitz. But they weren't just staring at her. They were looking at Keefe too. Or more specifically, their hands. Sophie caught some of what was being said. 

She broke up with Fitz.

Fitz? Fitz VACKER?

Only she would break up with Fitz.

What is wrong with her?

Look at her, holding hands with his best friend. 

She's just doing this to get revenge.

The whispers were sharper than shards of glass and they cut deep wounds. Sophie's vision blurred as she raced outside and into an empty hallway.

She leaned against a random locker and covered her face with her hands. What was she thinking? That it'd actually be okay? But more importantly, how did they know?

"Sophie, wait," called out a crisp voice. No, not him. Anyone but him, Sophie thought. Unfortunately, when she looked up, she saw her ex-boyfriend. 

Fitz looked so sad and adorable. Like he actually cared about her. Sophie recalled the moment he broke up with her but instead of feeling sadness, she felt anger. Sophie shook her head to clear her thoughts and make sure she didn't inflict on Fitz by accident. 

Or would it really be on accident?

"Sophie, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say those things last time. It's just, I really like you, Sophie. Having you on my match lists means so much to me," Fitz pleaded, his voice slicing through her thoughts.

Sophie couldn't stand looking at him anymore. She closed her eyes and shook her head. 

"Go away."

"Sophie, please."

She shook her head more firmly. Sophie didn't trust her voice to tell Fitz to leave her alone. This seemingly perfect guy was telling her he loved her. But he wasn't perfect. He hurt her because of the things that would happen to him if he ever married the girl he loved. It didn't matter that Sophie was unmatchable, the Vacker name mattered. And Sophie was sick of it. But Fitz didn't sound like he was giving up.

Thankfully, a familiar voice came to her rescue. 

"Fitz, I don't think you understand. No means no. You can't just break up with someone that harshly and expect to be forgiven. Especially if they've already moved on," Keefe replied. He walked over to Sophie and held her hand.

Fitz's perfect teal eyes narrowed as he looked at their hands. "I thought she'd forgive me sooner than she'd forgive someone who just can't keep their promises."

Keefe shrugged. "I guess almost dying convinced her well enough." 

Fitz glared at them. Keefe tried to calm him down. "Look Fitzy, I get that things have been hard since Loanmore-"

"Things have been more than hard! We almost lost two dwarves to the Neverseen! We were betrayed by King Enki! Your mom could've killed us all! In your house, Alvar escaped!"

"You think I don't know? It's been even harder for me. I had to watch you two act mushy. I've had to stay back on so many missions because Tammy Boy thought my mom wanted to murder me. It turned out Mommy Dearest tried to randomly mess with my genetics. I got some weird new ability that Bangs Boy thinks could kill me! Then, Daddy Dearest has just been so supportive. Not to mention that your dad told me to back off!"

Fitz looked like he wanted to say more but the bell rang and he stalked off. 

Sophie looked at Keefe. "What did Alden say?"

Keefe sighed. "I'll tell you later, tomorrow after school at the latest. I promise. Right now, you need to go to class."

"Are you okay? Do I need to take you back to Elwin? Because I don't think Keefe Sencen has ever resisted ditching," Sophie teased. 

Keefe shook his head. "I wish I could ditch. But the Forklenator says I have to go back to class." 

"I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"See you, Foster!"