Chapter 18: A City For War

It had been dark a couple hours already when I sat down, trying to figure out what it was I was trying to accomplish.

The camp was fairly quiet. The only men there were the ones who had no one to see elsewhere. Most of them had been given the night off; the rest were only volunteering to stay on guard.

So no one bothered me as I sat there, leaning against a tent frame, staring across the newly intricate rows and organization of the camps. I couldn't say that I was entirely confident they would be there by summer.

Someone giggled and I shot my look over to see Cenna walking back, a smile on his face, a cute girl beside him.

"See you in the morning, then," she bid.

"Goodnight."

As she turned to leave him, her look flashed to me as she noticed for the first time. A look of surprise stole her expression, but she hurried off before Cenna noticed, as well.

His smile fell off as soon as she was gone, and almost understood what the new look was for.

When Cenna noticed me sitting there, the smile returned. "Hey. Are you alright?"

I could only manage a small smile in return.

Catching on, he extended a hand for me to rise. After accepting it, he ducked into the tent with me right behind him.

He lit the candle that sat on the ground by his cot and pulled the blankets from his boxes. After offering one to me, he sat down, and I sat next to him.

"A new girlfriend?" I asked almost playfully, nudging his arm with mine.

"The medic girl that's been following me around."

"What's her name? What happened to that other girl?"

"Chloe... she was with Eritt the longest."

"And she fancies you?" I asked, drawing out my tone to joke with him.

"Hush."

I felt my lips pull into a smile, even when I didn't want to be smiling then.

Cenna turned to me. "What's wrong, Ana?" he asked, knowing better than to accept a 'nothing'. "What happened between you today?"

"It's a long story... but we both said things we shouldn't have."

"You and Zanek."

"Yes...."

"... Where is he now?"

"I wouldn't know. I left and... didn't care to look back." I tried not to look at him as I'd said it, and pretended to find the edge of my blanket much more interesting. I tried to pass is off as if it weren't an issue. Cenna couldn't think of Zanek in any way less than what he was. I wouldn't be the one to lessen his opinion of... my....

"... I was worried when I saw you earlier. I thought something serious had happened."

I closed my eyes to take a breath.

"Had it?"

"No."

"If he's done anything, Ana--"

"He hasn't. Everything is fine."

He looked doubtful.

"Honestly, Cenna. It's just me. I find it... difficult... to be as happy as everyone expects, when we live in a world that is constantly pushing and shoving. It's exhausting."

"... I know how you feel."

"Cenna," I whispered, looking over at him and placing my hand over his. "You are my oldest and closest friend. I don't know what I would've done without you there all those years."