Chapter 33: Battle of Dugrai

***

Ian

***

I walked the line of the border where Dariel and Vilkos had paced the day before. The markers were strong. The magic along the line so concentrated, the feel of it tickled the skin on my arms. There should have been no danger of the Knights, their helpers, or their pets entering any time soon.

The feeling of the wolves incessantly pacing behind me rose my lip over some teeth. They followed the border, as well. There was no need to. But the wolves were on strict order to remain within Dugrai, and in the south, nearer the highest concentration of action and population, the wolves were both restless... and bored. I didn't know where Erin had gone, however. He'd run off somewhere a long time ago.

Through our link I felt Tami moving around. It was a light, feather-type brush in the back of my thoughts, like a bad memory that I had been trying to forget. Not forget, necessarily. Just ignore.

Stop moving, I told her, trying to be stern as I walked back into the trees. You should be resting.

I'm bored. And there's no one to run the wolves. What else am I supposed to do?

You aren't supposed to be shifting.

I'm not! Swear it.

Tami, the wolves can handle themselves. I'm on my way. Stay where you are.

She agreed hesitantly and the annoying movement finally stopped. I judged quickly that she could have been no more than a league away, likely near Redlace. Just as I started into a run, I felt the shattering of the first barrier.

The energy I had invested splintered all at once. I stumbled, but caught myself easily. I turned back. Immediately, there were six other voices in my head.

There it goes.

It's time, then?

One of you get to the treeline. Another to Tailk.

What is this? hissed the expectant voice of the one and only Tailin. The other voices stopped.

This is exactly what was to be expected, offered the calm voice of another. Kitekai.

Having already changed my course, I ran for Noena. Where was Jakeller? I sifted through every Vari name in my trusted list to call toward the border. Most of them were there already. Was Tailin to call for others?

There was a physical pulse through the forest as the Knight tried the second defense. The earth rocked around me, swayed for half a moment before setting once more. Every Elf in Dugrai should have felt the call of warning. I quickened my pace toward the border. The Knight was there, knocking on our front door... the army of Grimmer behind him.

***

Cenna

***

There was no screaming among the Elves. No calls of order, or worry, or angst. There were only looks. Concentrated states of thought, or eyes that flashed around in question, concern, or confirmation. They were quiet, and orderly. They gathered their equipment before us; some dressed themselves in leather breasts and sleeves, others with only an extra knife, sword, or bow. Their hair was braided; fingers nimbly tying back the strands that could have taken their attention later on. Then they rose, individually, and calmly made their ways toward the border.

The Humans offered the counterpart.

Commands were yelled — they rushed for armor and sword, and captain, on occasion. The accompanying medics, though few in number, scrambled for their supplies, and tried to find the attention of a higher officer to ask for more. An Elf found them; he helped find the bandages, and more. Majors found their captains; captains found their units. My men found me. I stood back, watching.