Chapter 21: Split Command

***

Zanek

***

I walked right out of Camille's and into the view of my brother, the one person whose location I'd forgotten to check.

Immediately he came toward me.

"I hope you know lying for you is about the easiest thing I've had to do today."

I nodded, stuffing down the groan that still wanted to come out every time I took a sore breath.

"Did Camille release you?"

"Aye, but she doesn't know it yet," I told him stiffly, walking around his huge figure and throwing on the cloak in my hand to hide the bruises I knew were still visible through the thin shirt.

His glare was pointed straight to the back of my head.

The extra weight of the cloak was a bit welcome, as I had no interest in expending rich energy to warm myself in the close-to-freezing air. However odd it felt to have another layer over my shoulders.

Ian claimed my side and matched the pace. "More are coming in tonight," he informed me.

I didn't answer.

"Jason is already expecting them."

"A dozen more won't affect his offered space."

"A dozen more foreigners his men now have to watch for."

"Fine. I don't want any more coming in."

He barely nodded. "I'll tell them. Oh, and Dagan insists on sending more wolves."

My nose twitched as I fought a snarl. "Erin didn't want to send numbers down before and I won't accept any now."

"... I didn't think you'd fight that proposal. Tami thinks they could be useful."

"I don't."

"... What would Ana think?"

"It doesn't matter what she would think."

"Zanek," he said, stopping his movement. After a couple steps I was forced to stop, too, but the only acknowledgment I gave him was a short glance over my shoulder.

"What?" I bit out, my mood negatively pricked and the snarl still hiding there.

"Do you resent her?"

"No."

"You resent him."

"I can't say I'm pleased," I spit, annoyed by his persistence.

I started walking again and it only took him a second to claim my side as if he hadn't stopped.

"Where are you going?" he asked sternly.

"To find my bloody swords. Now, are you going to follow me around all afternoon, or are you going to do something?"

"Ha! Well, I don't know about you, but I have a mate that needs attention."

Before any real thought passed, I jerked to him and had his back shoved against a wall. "Are you trying to push me today?"

"That depends," he replied, shrugging as best he could with his shoulders pressed firmly back. "Is it working?"

"Try me again," I snarled.

Ian's eyes narrowed, baiting me. "Hit me. I dare you."

The fabric in my fist began to shrivel. I gripped it tighter. "You would enjoy it too much."