Chapter 5: Circled

***

Zanek

***

Ana stirred softly in my arms. I sighed, adjusting them so she could move, and she turned around to nuzzle against me. I made a sound of agreement as she settled herself into my chest. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep again, but it seemed we had already slept through the night. I had't realized how tired I was.

"Morning?" she muttered.

"Mmm."

"... One more day...."

I sighed again, trying to wake up more. "Today if you would like."

"Okay...." She nuzzled her cheek up to mine, giving me a small kiss. "How will we be going?"

My eyes opened to look at her, though hers were still closed. "I think running will be easier for you now, if you want to do it that way. If not, I know the horses will be good at least to Dunbirth. After that it might be too harsh for them."

Her beautiful eyes then fluttered open as well. A smile was brought to my face as I looked at them. The clearest blue I had ever seen, paired with the most beautiful creature.

"Would the horses stay in Dunbirth?" she asked, drawing my attention back into the small conversation.

"I could easily arrange for them to. Or we could send them back here. That is, if you want to return on foot. Jade is a smart horse. He will be able to handle himself awhile," I said somewhat jokingly.

"We'll take them," she sighed. "I'll talk to Jason about it, I guess."

"Whatever will be best for you, my love," I told her.

Her eyes looked up to me again and she smiled. "I'm glad you are going to help them, Zanek."

"What do you mean?"

She dropped her eyes then, scooting subtly away from me as if she were ashamed. She flipped to her back. "Erin wasn't so... supportive...."

Furrowing my brow, I propped myself up on my elbow. "Did he not want you to go?"

"No, he just.... I don't know. He acted like he had no idea why I wanted to help them. As if even the thought of fighting grimmer in Kail was just a waste of time."

I looked down, slightly ashamed, myself, for Erin's attitude. "I promised myself a long time ago I would help them. And if I hadn't, still I would support you in anything you do. I can speak with Erin, if you would like."

"No," she said. "I don't want Erin to be any way that he isn't. He showed me what he thought about them. I can't change that, and really I don't feel that bad about it.... I wasn't expecting anything from him, necessarily."

"... You were expecting your brother to support you."

"Well, yes, but I mean... he doesn't know them the way I do. We grew up in two separate worlds."

I ran my fingers through my hair and looked up at her instead of down at the bed. "He doesn't have the experience. No matter how strong one may seem, the end comes down to their experiences."

She nodded in agreement. "Let's not talk about it anymore. I want to get ready to go. Winter won't wait for us."

I jerked my head in a nod. For having even fewer experiences than her brother, she at least could recognize the importance of a view beyond her present stature. 

I moved over to her, planting my lips on hers before rolling us over to the edge of the bed, holding her on my lap to kiss her. She giggled in our touch, which made me smile. Her form moved with me beautifully until I sensed the coming presence, and someone knocked on the door.