Chapter 1: A Wolf's Maw

I could not believe my eyes when we broke through the path and strode upon the mass that was the packs. From where we stood we were slightly above them, on top of a hill with trees that became more scattered the farther down you walked until it turned into a short valley with the white-cloaked pines on either side. At the end sat four of the largest rocks I had ever seen. They leaned against each other, the shorter ones against the larger so a person could hop onto the largest, which was just smaller than a home. Erin stood there.

Snow was steadily falling down atop the hundreds of bodies, some as wolves sitting, some lying down, some elven shifters leaning against their furry friends. I could tell the difference between real wolves and shifters... The shifters were generally solid colors with occasional markings here and there... They were also larger than the real wolves, though only by a little. Tami would be taller than them but she was slim where some were bulky. Though above all, Erin and I were the largest. His wolf was still a bit larger than mine, with more pronounced muscles, and his fur brown where I was still black.....

Tami turned to look at me as if asking if I were going to change; at that, I turned to Zanek to see what I should do.

"Go on," he encouraged. After a quick smile for confidence I moved to shift next to Tami, then with her I moved toward the wolves. My brother's long-muzzled head was surveying the crowd. His weight was quickly tested between his hind legs before leaping directly off the large rock and toward us. It always amazed me how fantastic Erin's wolf was. I hadn't yet seen how we matched up against each other as far as strength, but in his height and stance he very nearly emanated power. I was sure that if I weren't so confident in my abilities he would have stricken a bit of fear in me. His form was large and sturdy, with wide paws and teeth that resembled sharp ivory.

Good afternoon, Ana, he greeted. His large head swerved to Tami at my side. They don't have to be so quiet, Tami. Let them see how you interact.

Immediately Tami reared on her hind legs with a yip, turning to jump against my shoulders and nibble at my ears to play. It was then that, with her, I walked to my brother's side to face my family in the packs.

***

Zanek

***

I stayed and watched only long enough to see Erin leap from his post to meet his sister. His dark wolf wove easily through the others, whose eyes were all upon the tall black form, and stood much taller than I had ever seen him before. He must have grown quite a bit since I'd left. Snow was draped over the still watchers as they waited to see what Ana would do. The brother and sister leapt together playfully after walking a couple steps, and quickly every wolf jumped to their feet, and the remaining elves shifted to follow.

I turned back with a smile that quickly faded as I prepared myself to return to the Vari. Many people wanted answers, and many of the same wanted new orders. They were waiting for something to do, trusting that in my time back I would be able to aid them.

Zanek, we have a problem, someone told me.

I stopped in my tracks, looking around as if I could see who had called me. What kind of problem? I demanded.

There's someone in the forest, and Dariel and I couldn't feel him before now. He is close to where you are.

I snarled at the thought of some intruder nearby. Especially near Ana. My mind pushed out to where the person was and felt him running through the forest, closer in front of me and running toward the Vari. I've got him, Liam. Stay with Dariel. There could be another.

The second I felt Liam's confirmation I bolted forward, ready to intercept whomever it was. Adrenaline pumped through my veins oddly. Occurrences as those were somewhat regular, or had been before. I'd handled cases of much larger groups without so much as a second thought. Why was it that suddenly this made me nervous? There was a nagging fear in the very recesses of my mind, warning me; throwing at me a reality of what dangers this person could bring.