Chapter 32: Chasing the Mist

She'd run to the encampment in the south; Ana had. Gone to see the humans. The Kailin, not the stronger Knights that had trickled down to be with them. My reason for going, as well, should have remained only to speak with the Commanders — as I had initially planned. The thought of Ana with the men, however, stood predominately in my thoughts.

The way was easy for me; I had assigned the location. There met Commander Arros, of the Human unit that resided in Dugrai full-time, Commander Eritt, and Commander Jason. It wouldn't be the first time Eritt had the opportunity to see the Human units of Dugrai. Or rather, the Kailin units... for the ranks under Commander Arros included Elves, as well. Eritt's very first order as a new recruit in Dugrai had been to find these Kailin Knights, nearly thirty years before. He'd succeeded. And he'd met Ileriana in the same quest.

I wondered where Jakeller was and if he would reach the border in time to meet us with these Kailin. It wasn't likely. Jakeller would not be able to speak with them, even if he were to be there... but the presence of a third party would have made me feel better about keeping everyone together in one location. Jakeller would at least keep his full attention on Anaera in my absence. There was not much I wanted more.

My first act upon arrival was to find the Commanders. They listed me among them and addressed me the same; Commander. I was beyond arguing. Ana was standing in the group when I had found them. I was not surprised, but she was, though Jason had warned her beforehand. I could see it in his thoughts the moment I walked in. There was never much else in his head beyond what he laid just before my sight. Jason, as trained as he was, was ignorant still.

Ana was not long in my sight before running off to find the others. I tried to organize my thoughts in time to hear the first address of Commander Arros. I had seen him not six days before. None of the others knew that. Or could know it, yet.

"Since your added barriers, Ashe, we have had no sightings of the Knights in these territories."

I nodded. I knew that.

"Our men and women are trained and ready for this encounter. We have been preparing for some time for you to arrive, Eritt, Jason. My trainees have my full trust in their ability to hold their weight in the coming battles. And beyond..." he added, looking over at me. I nodded without a sound. "I'm sure we will all be briefed on the following advancements before the day is over. Commander Ashe, if you would proceed."

From the corner of my eye I saw one of the Elves Arros commanded with the Humans in Dugrai. Her name was Surrit. We had trained together once, many years before. She'd shifted when my name was addressed a second time.

"The Grimmer are done but our war is far from over. As all of you know, the Grimmer have been armed, led, and directed by the son of Gaiku, Gail. We believe that over the course of these years, Gail and his brother have used these pawns as a distraction from their ultimate goal of recreating, or rather, re-harnessing, the magic drawn from the darker crevices by the Dark Knights, Terron and Gaiku. As Kailin Knight Commanders, you are required to learn of these wars before our time.... But none of you in this room have made the commitment to becoming a Knight of the People, rather than of your king and country. Herein lies the difference: you answer to your king; the White Knights, the Dark Knights, do not."

Some around the room shifted uncomfortably. After speaking of this topic for so long only between Rajah, Kitekai, and the other elders, forming intelligible reference within a room of Humans began to feel very difficult. I tried to search their minds all at once to see exactly to which extent they knew of the Knights I spoke of, and how much they would be able to understand if I began to speak of the influences affecting Gail, his brother, and their newest addition, Lexis, the daughter of Shepard — Marza's lover, a Black Knight, himself.