Lexi - Defender of Man (New Life - Take 4)

Skye's POV

I sighed as I stared at my reflection in the motel's bathroom mirror. Coulson and I were making our way to New York as under the radar as possible to avoid the risk of Hydra following us. We had been driving across country for the last few days and were finally almost there but had decided to take a quick stop to get a brief nap in before heading back into the fray.

I had taken the opportunity to work on perfecting my new "persona" and the appearance that would come with it. In order to pull this off, I would have to be flawless with the execution. Otherwise it would cause more drama than I was trying to avoid by going in disguised to begin with.

I had glamoured my skin to look unmarred by the scars that normally covered my body, given myself white hair, and made myself a makeshift "costume". It wasn't anything fancy, just the Mayesque jacket I had, a black crop top, black jeans, and black boots that I had sewn inner pockets into to hold various knives and such. It looked nowhere near as sophisticated as Tony and the other's outfits but hey, I did the best with what I had.

I could probably get Fitz to make me something more sleek once this is all over, I thought as I exited the motel room and hopped into the passenger seat of the new run down car Coulson had just finished hot-wiring

I could probably get Fitz to make me something more sleek once this is all over, I thought as I exited the motel room and hopped into the passenger seat of the new run down car Coulson had just finished hot-wiring. We had been swapping out cars every couple hundred miles or so.

When Coulson saw my new look, he just shook his head and grinned.

"I thought you wanted to blend in, not stick out," he commented.

"I stick out no matter what I do, at least the new look doesn't make me look weak and helpless. I just hope I can keep up the attitude to match it..." I added quietly, voicing my biggest concern. With all of my insecurities and emotional issues, I had no idea if I was going to be able to pull off the whole "kick ass" and confident persona.

"You'll do fine, I definitely would not have recognized you if I hadn't already known it was you. Just stay calm and remember your cover."

I nodded as he started up the car, but still felt unsure of myself. The cover was easy enough, Coulson had managed to convince Fury to backup my story that I was a high level Shield Agent who was captured on a mission and experimented on and gained powers - it wasn't exactly a total lie, so I wouldn't have to worry about my horrible deception abilities so long as I continued to stick to half truths whenever possible.

What was bothering me was whether or not I was making the right choice by pretending to be someone else. But it was the only thing I was trained for and knew how to do. It was easier to be someone else than trying to figure out who I was now that I had the freedom to do so.

********************************************

"Why does it have to be me?!" I said in frustration as we pulled into the parking lot of an all night gym in Brooklyn, New York.

"I'm supposed to be dead, I can't just walk up to the guy without having some serious explaining to do...and something tells me he'll be more agreeable to helping if it comes from you," Coulson gave me a funny look as he finished his explanation.