Nothing Personal (Part 2)

Skye's POV

"How much longer?" Ward asked with a sigh.

"Half hour," I told him.

"You said that a half hour ago," he complained.

"Weren't you the one who told me to relax?" I said as I noticed one of the cops looking over at us.

"Those cops over there keep looking at us," Ward said as he tried to discretely hide his face.

"They're just checking out the waitress. They don't know you're pretending to be someone you're not," I told him, trying not to let my emotions get the better of me this time.

"Yeah, all right. Who am I pretending to be?" Ward asked.

"My impatient boyfriend," I replied, trying not to shudder at the idea and instead let my mind drift off to thoughts about dating a certain blonde super soldier who's birthday it was today. Judging from the emotions I had been feeling from him since midnight he had definitely liked the birthday album I made him and I could also tell the other avengers had liked the songs as well. I just wish I was able to use whatever empathic ability I seemed to have on Ward so I could tell what was going on with his emotions. I occasionally was able to pick up on what other people were feeling but it always seemed strongest with the avengers and lucifer for some reason but maybe that was because his powers seemed to have an emotional link as well what with his obsession over people's desires.

"I like that cover," he replied and I resisted the impulse to gag at the expression on his face as he looked me up and down. He then looked out the window and his smile dropped as he saw a police car cruise past the diner. I looked nervously out the window seeing that Ward had noticed and tried to distract him.

"What's the longest you've been undercover? Like, deep undercover?" I asked him.

"Uh, 16 months," he replied but I could tell his focus was still on the cops.

"When was that?"

"Mm, about 5 years outside of the academy. I posed as a Russian Attaché at the Embassy in Warsaw."

"That's got to be so hard, living a double life like that. Getting close to people only to turn on them," I scoffed as I stared at him. "I don't know how Garrett did it."

"Garrett?" He asked.

"Think about all that time he spent as your S.O. Getting to know you, being your mentor. Only to lie to your face, betray you like that," I commented, barely controlling my anger. He'd look so much better with my fist in his face.

"It was, uh, difficult to accept. But thankfully that's over," he said looking down.

"Because you took care of him," I said, staring at him hard.

Ward stared back at me clearly taken aback for a long moment then looked around the diner and leaned in toward me.

"Can we not discuss this right now?"

"If you had one more moment before you shot him in the back of the head so heroically, if he was sitting right here and you could say anything you want, what would you say?" I asked with a wicked smile on my face.

He'" was now giving me a worried expression.

"Skye."

"Would you say he's disgusting? Would you tell him he's a disgusting, backstabbing traitor?" I hissed out. His face turned even more serious as mine was. "Or to rot in hell?" I continued, wondering if I could ask Lucifer to make that happen.

"What are you doing?" Ward asked, trying to give me a smile.

"I'm just trying to have an honest conversation for once," I told him as I leaned back in my chair.