Chapter Twenty

The Reed ranch was magnificent. There was no other word to describe the two story house, that resembled a Spanish hiacinta. In front of the house colorful flowers were fighting Texas's hot air. All in all, the moment anyone saw the house for the first time, they were expecting a Snow White to come running out to greet them. Or that Cinderella will come into view, sweeping the floors.

But instead of those fairytale creatures, the Reed ranch was a home to the perfectly normal Reed family. Well, not perfectly normal. At least not after the Reedville's standards. Brother and sister that inherited the ranch after their granny died, were considered eccentric, even in the middle of nowhere, Texas – Specially in the middle of nowhere, Texas.

The brother was well liked among the single ladies of Reedville, but they rarely understood what he was talking about. He was a little bit to nerdy for them, even though his physique would never suggest that.

The sister on the other hand, was what ran the town's gossip mills. She was single and she had a child. A fatherless child, none the less. Who was the baby daddy was still the biggest question this town has ever faced. Well, if you don't count the question about who's her father. After all, when Adam Reed married her mother, she was already six years old. So technically, the brother and sister of the Reed ranch, were only step brother and sister. But since Adam Reed announced the moment he married Adriana Jones, that her daughter is his daughter, no one in town had the guts to call them anything other than brother and sister.

When James drove in front of the Reed ranch, he had no idea about all the drama that passed that place. He only had two things in his mind.

First was Vivian. The woman who was the center of his dream world from the moment they met. The woman who managed to stay in his mind for six years, even though they had no contact at all.

Second was business. Gabriel Reed was his ticket to the next level. And his way of showing Ian McCain, he didn't made a mistake when he helped him get back on his legs, got his head straight and made him the man he is today.

Even before he managed to get out of the car, he was stopped by the sight of two children, a girl and a boy riding a horse. He didn't know who the girl was, but he recognized the boy in the moment. He was Gabriel Reed's nephew.

Without even realizing he stepped out of the car and started walking towards the kids. There was just something so familiar about the little boy, he needed to see him up-close again. He couldn't point exactly at what was making him think he already saw to boy somewhere, but he had this nagging feeling in his gut, that if he could see the boy up-close again, he will know.

But before he could come any closer, Gabriel Reed came out of nowhere.

"Hey there James! Welcome to Reed ranch!"

James pulled himself out of the thoughts and speculation about the kid and extended his hand.

"Hey Gabe. Thank you for having me. The ranch is absolutely amazing."

"Thank you." It was obvious Gabe saw something was going on between James and his nephew. But because he didn't know what to do about it, and because James was his potential employee, he decided to ask him about it later. "James, let's let the kids to finish their riding lesson and step to the terrace and have a glass of an excellent Scotch whiskey, my grand grand daddy brought here from his travel back to his homeland in a search for a bride."

"I'm in. Lead the way." James followed Gabe around the house, until they came to a huge terrace with a pool and a home barbeque already ready to start. "So you have Scottish ancestors?"

"Yeah. Up until to my mother all my ancestors were either Scottish or Scottish descent. What about you? I bet your ancestors came to America on the Mayflower."