Chapter Thirty Three

"GINA! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

"Can't a wife visit her wounded husband in a hospital?" She asked with an innocent voice.

The fake innocence made Chris's face cloud with anger.

"Not when the said wife is getting a divorce from the said husband and had already snagged herself a new man..."

"C. c. c. Sister. I thought you were going to tell me something I don't know." Gina smiled at her and walked to the other side of the hospital bed, facing her. "Besides, it's not like you are all that innocent as you pretend to be, right?"

Chris jumped off the chair she was sitting in, her face red with anger, and hands held into fists so tightly her knuckles went white.

Only moments before James was ready to fall asleep again, but his secretary and his future ex-wife family-bonding time made him wide awake. He could literally feel the tension in the room, and if he would be able to jump off bed and walk away with Chris, so Gina would come to her senses during that time, he would. But at the moment he couldn't even talk, yet alone walk.

 Luckily James wasn't the only one who noticed the tension in the room, Neil noticed it as well. But unlike James he reacted in a totally different way.

"Gina! You handsome devil!?" He mockingly said and offered her a hand over the bed separating them. "What happened that you left your sugar daddy and came to see your husband... And please don't say it's because he's wounded. Because that would be so funny I'd fall of my chair and hurt myself. We don't want anything to hurt my pretty face, do we?"

He quoted her words, from the time she told him, she's so mad she could hit him, but doesn't want to hurt his face. Neil just laughed at her, and told her, his face would damage her fist to the point, she'll need to see her plastic surgeon for something else than a face lift.

Everyone in the room, but Gina, smiled as they remembered the incident. It was an open secret no one present could stand more than two seconds in the same room as James's future ex-wife.

"Hush it Neil!" Gina's face stayed the same, in the half smile, like she was incapable of showing any other emotion. "It's not you I'm here for."

"I don't think I'd be in the right hospital wing if you were. I believe psychiatrics is one floor higher." Neil had a witty comeback as usual. But Gina's face still hadn't showed any emotions, and that hadn't escaped Neil's observant eyes. "I see you got a new face. The last one was getting a bit soggy. I mean I could almost see a wrinkle on your forehead.  It was way past time to visit the plastic."

Gina's face remained the same, but she nearly jumped over the hospital bed and attacked Neil. Luckily for her, a nurse came into the room, and shooed them all out, saying James had to get some rest in order to heal properly.

James was happy he got some peace and quiet, so he was able to quit resisting the sleepiness caused by the medication the doctors prescribed him.

Hours had passed, before James woke up again, feeling refreshed and much better than only hours ago. But when he opened his eyes and no one was in his hospital room, his heart rate level raised a bit, enough to make a nurse come in and check on him.

"Oh, you're awake Mister Cornell. How are you feeling?"

"Like crap." James still had some difficulties with talking, but once he started, words came out of his mouth easier and easier. "I feel like I've been dragged through lava, then a tiger jumped at me and broke all my bones, and as if that wasn't enough, I feel from the highest skyscraper straight on my head. So yeah, I feel great."

Nurse only smiled at him, not minding the sarcasm in his voice. She knew he was lucky to be alive, but like most patients, if they were in pain, they weren't the most pleasant company, or behaved like they are happy the survived.

"I'll talk to the doctor about the amount of pain medicine you're given right now, he might agree to up your dosage..."

"That does sound swell, but I think prefer to suffer a bit. Don't feel like getting addicted to the stuff."

James smiled at the nurse and she smiled back. There was something about the man, that made her want to get to know him. Because for a man to refuse pain medication when he's clearly in pain, tells a lot about his character.

"I'm James by the way. What's your name."

For a moment there, James thought she'll never answer.

"Eveline. My name is Eveline."