Josh muttered something under his breath before leaving my room and shutting the door. I waited a few moments before I tip-toed out of the room and down the stairs. The music was loud enough where I wouldn't be heard. I peeked around the corner to see both Dad and Mindy dancing around the kitchen as bacon, eggs, and hash browns cooked.

When I made eye contact with Mindy, I held my finger up to my mouth to keep her from greeting me, then I motioned for her to come out of the kitchen. She gave me an unreadable expression before saying something to Dad and then leaving the kitchen to stand by me out of sight.

"Can you help me?" I asked her in a whisper, pointing to my neck.

I really didn't want to have to have her see my bruises but I was immensely more concerned with my Dad seeing them. So, if I had to enlist Mindy for help, I would.

She motioned for me to follow her up to her her room.

"Are you at least being safe?" she asked once we were in her bedroom.

"Nothing happened," I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest.

Mindy raised her eyebrows like she didn't believe me.

"I'm serious!"

"Sure you are," she replied in a disbelieving tone, pulling her makeup bag out of her nightstand. "Sit."

I sat down on the bed and moved my shirt so she could get to all of the bruises.

"Jesus," she muttered, patting my skin with a makeup sponge. "You're lucky your father didn't see this."

"I know."

"I'll keep my mouth shut if you promise you're being safe," she said with a chuckle.

I rolled my eyes. "I promise."

Mindy just chuckled again as she finished covering up my blemishes, spraying something to make sure the makeup stayed on.

"You're the best," I told her.

"I know," she replied, kissing the top of my head before I stood up from the bed.

The two of us went back to the kitchen, my father not suspicious about our disappearance and arrival together.

"Elijah! Come eat. I think we overdid it this morning," Dad called out with a sheepish look.

"Smells amazing," I told him with a smile.

Dad placed a plate full of food in front of me and I spent the rest of breakfast hoping he wouldn't notice my neck.

***

When Ava told me she was having a sleepover with Fawn Ridley, I was undeniably surprised. I wasn't aware that the two girls had kept in contact since Fox and I took them to the mall a few weeks ago.

"Do you have everything?" I asked Ava as she stomped down the stairs to meet me in the living room.

"Yes, Dad," she sarcastically replied.

"Hey," I whined. "Be nice to me. I'm your favorite brother."

Ava just snickered as she walked by me and out to the car. Josh came down the stairs a few moments later and motioned for me to follow him.

Ever since our first movie night, Josh and I had been talking more. We still weren't super close, but I was actually kind of proud of our progress, so I suggested the two of us hang out tonight while Ava spent the night at the Ridley's.

"I'm surprised you sat in the backseat," I told Ava as I got into the car, Josh getting in the driver's seat.

"Didn't want to hear you complain," she responded in a bored tone.