25

Sleep didn't come easy to me over the weekend. All I could think about was Fox, the feeling of his lips on mine, and what exactly that kiss meant. I couldn't tell if it was just a heat of the moment thing, or if Fox really wanted to be with me. I didn't even know if I wanted to be with him.

That was why I drowsily walked through the halls at school on Monday morning. My mind was tirelessly working and not giving me any chance at rest.

I found that being in Fox's presence was even worse for the thoughts swimming around in my head. Just the fact that he was sitting behind me in English class was enough to put a lump in my throat and a sickly feeling in my stomach. I practically launched myself out of my seat when the bell rang, but Fox was able to catch up with me.

"Hey, do you want to come over after practice tonight?" he asked, placing his hand on my shoulder to stop me. "So we can talk."

I looked up at him and nearly melted as his eyes intently stared into mine. All I could do was nod at him, and with that he walked off to his next class.

By the time hockey practice rolled around, I was anxious to go to Fox's house. I could tell Josh knew something was up with me, but I tried my best to avoid him so he wouldn't confront me about it.

As soon as I got on the ice, I skated over to Ian so the two of us could warm up with some drills. It became routine that we would do this before every practice. Not many words were exchanged between us, but I liked to think that he was warming up to me.

"What the hell is up with you?" Ian snapped as he slapped a shot toward me.

I stopped the puck with my stick and handled it for a few moments before hitting it back.

"What do you mean?"

"You're acting all jumpy. You keep tapping your foot and you're going to put a divot in the ice," Ian replied, motioning toward my tapping foot with his stick.

I didn't even notice I was doing it until he pointed it out. Once I looked down at my foot and realized that I was putting a divot in the ice, I immediately stopped.

Before I could say anything else, Coach Silva blew his whistle, causing the whole team to gather at center ice. Josh moved to stand beside me while Fox stood on my other side as we waited for instruction.

I couldn't tell if I was just more conscious of his presence now, but Fox seemed to be standing dangerously close to me. It was almost like he wanted a reaction out of me.

I almost groaned out loud when Coach Silva announced we would be working on penalty kill formations because Fox and I were on the same penalty kill unit and I didn't know how much I would be able to focus with him around me.

Coach had us working on a diamond formation where Fox was across from me. I put him in the back of my mind for the rest of practice. I wasn't going to let him be a distraction to me.

***

When Fox brought me over to his house, it appeared that his parents weren't home. He parked his car in the driveway, then motioned for me to follow him into the house.

I kept my distance from him as we walked together. I didn't know where our conversation was headed and I had no idea how to feel.