36

TRIGGER WARNING: use of homophobic slur

"Merry Christmas," Dad whispered in my ear as I lay face down in bed.

I groaned, pulling my pillow over my head. Dad was quick to pull it off and sit down beside me on the bed.

"It's your first Christmas living here full time," Dad reminded me, placing his hand on my back.

I picked my head up to glance at him, seeing his loving smile directed back at me.

"First time I don't have to go to church on Christmas," I said, sitting up and rubbing my
eyes.

Dad laughed, moving over so the two of us could sit side by side.

"Isn't that great?" he said, tossing his arm around my shoulder and pulling me to his side.

I nodded, resting my head on him. The two of us sat there for a few silent moments, enjoying each other's company. Dad has always been sappy, but I had a feeling he was getting even more so since I had left last week.

"Ready to go downstairs?" Dad asked as I picked my head up.

I nodded, following him out of the room. He seemed extra excited about this Christmas and I could only assume it was because this was the first Christmas morning we got to spend together since I was a small child.

"Merry Christmas!" Mindy exclaimed, wrapping me up in a hug as soon as I was at the bottom of the stairs.

She had insisted that we all wore matching Christmas pajamas and take a picture in the morning. I looked toward Josh and Ava, who were already sitting by the tree, and took in our matching outfits. We definitely looked like that stereotypical suburban family. The only things we were missing were the white picket fence and the family dog.

"Go sit in front of the tree," Mindy instructed, guiding me into the living room. "I want pictures!"

Dad had gone into the kitchen and returned with a cup of coffee for each of us. I allowed Mindy to steer me near the tree and took my spot beside Ava.

"Okay, nice smiles, come on," Mindy encouraged, holding up her camera.

I knew Dad had gotten her a new camera for Christmas, so she would undoubtedly want to take even more pictures after she opens it up.

The three of us posed for pictures for a few minutes until Mindy decided she wanted candid ones of us opening gifts.

"Here," Josh said, handing me a small box wrapped in red paper.

"From you?" I asked with a confused expression.

He nodded.

Leave it to Josh to make me feel like the worst brother ever. I hadn't gotten him or Ava anything for Christmas and I relied on splitting gifts with Josh for our parents.

"It's just a small thing. Don't worry about it," he said. He must have noticed the uncomfortable look of guilt on my face.

"He didn't get me anything," Ava said as she plopped a piece of chocolate from her stocking in her mouth.

"I didn't get you anything either," I admitted with a laugh.

"Maybe I should revoke your favorite brother status," Ava said with raised eyebrows.

"You wouldn't."

Ava rolled her eyes but didn't say anything else. She knew I was right.

I turned back to the small gift in my hand and ripped the paper off of it. The small white box was held shut by a single piece of tape. When I opened the box, I found a car key and then turned to give Josh a confused expression, holding the key up between my fingers.