Chapter 11

Veronica pushed through the crowd, taking her place on the small stage that had been built into the dining room. Groups of faces turned to look at her, their eyes glazed with interest, as if they were watching an interesting play.

It wasn't everyday that a boss spoke at their employee's funeral. They would be searching for moments of weakness, of insincerity; anything that would benefit them.

Veronica's voice hit against the microphone. "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, we have gathered here to honor the life of Clarissa Henderson." She made sure to keep her voice shaky. "Clarissa dedicated her life to serving the company and was an important player in its success. I wouldn't have come so far if it wasn't for her. Rather than just a secretary, she was like a friend and sister to me."

She winced. Why had he written that? She caught Noah's eye in the crowd but he just grinned and shrugged.

Veronica continued reading until she reached the last line. "May you forever lie among the stars. Rest in peace, dear friend."

The words left a sour taste in her mouth. Clarissa was more traitor than friend. Nevertheless, she smiled weakly at the audience, her eyes shiny with premeditated tears.

The crowd gave a soft round of applause, despite it not being fit for a funeral. Not wasting any time, Veronica reached into her pocket, pulling out the USB that the Director of Finance had given her.

She held it high in the air for the crowd to see before leaning back into the microphone. "An anonymous source has sent us this evidence which will aid investigations pertaining to her death. We have not viewed it yet, but plan to submit it to the proper authorities."

A series of murmurs washed over the crowd, submerging them in a saturated moment of perturbation. Reporters attempted to make their way to the front but were shoved back by security as guests retrieved their devices to spread the news.

It wouldn't be long before everyone heard about her announcement. Including the culprit.

Veronica handed the mic to Adonis so he could sing for the guests and hurried down to Noah. "Wasn't that too cheesy?" she asked.

An expression of amusement formed on his face. "When it comes to funerals, it's better to be cheesy than emotionless, don't you think?"

"But who's going to believe that a CEO and their secretary were actually friends?" Veronica asked. "That kind of thing doesn't happen in real life."

Noah raised an eyebrow. "We're friends, aren't we?"

Veronica folded her arms. "Where did you get that idea?"

"Then do I need to crochet friendship bracelets for us to be official?"

"This isn't the time to be joking," Veronica said, trying to force down the laughter that almost escaped from her mouth. "Why did you have to write it like that?"

"To dispel rumors that you might be involved in Clarissa's death," said Noah. "I thought you might get hurt."

Veronica felt warmth blossom in her cheeks."You shouldn't worry about me," she said. "You should worry about the company."

"But aren't you and the company the same things?"

Veronica was silent for a moment. "That is true, but..." She wasn't so sure anymore. Was she beginning to see herself as separate from Sydius?

"We need to visit the drawing room," Noah continued, checking his watch. "Clarissa's parents said they wanted to speak to you."

ㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇ