Chapter 10

Noah looked at her for a long time, as if he couldn't comprehend what she was saying. "That doesn't make sense."

Veronica took a deep breath. She hadn't wanted to bring it up so soon. "Have you ever heard of the Kiplinger Kidnappings?"

"Of course," Noah said. "It was all over the news when I was in high school..."

"But you wouldn't know everything," Veronica continued. "Some things were omitted."

Noah frowned. "Are you saying that there's something the public wasn't told about?"

"The media distorts everything it touches," Veronica said. "My case was no different. There are secrets that have been hidden for many years, locked away in the minds of those who wish to forget them."

"Then what is it?" asked Noah. "What have they been hiding?"

Her courage had faltered. "I can't tell you," Veronica said. "At least not yet." She reached into her pocket and withdrew the USB, holding it out to him as if it was a peace offering. "But I can give you this."

Noah carefully took it from her and looked it over. "What's inside?" He looked up at her. "Is it something bad?" He tucked it into his pocket.

Veronica bit her lip and nodded. She had never felt so exposed. What he held in his hand was a vulnerable piece of her. A piece she wanted to hide but couldn't in order for everything to be resolved.

Noah didn't say anything, just wrapped his arms around her and held on tightly as if he would never let go. Veronica stiffened in surprise before relaxing in his embrace.

A serene warmth filled her body as she buried her head on his shoulder and for a short while she let her worries disappear, closing her eyes and imagining that she was in a different world, in a world where she no longer had to be afraid and hide it. Just for a while, she would pretend that everything was okay, that she was normal.

When they pulled away and he looked down into her eyes, Veronica felt her heart flutter; it was something she had never experienced before. Confusion saturated her thoughts. What was she doing? Why was she feeling this way?

Veronica let go of his hand which she had been holding on tightly and took a step back. She wasn't supposed to be doing this. Especially not now.

Noah smiled and let his hands fall down to his sides. "Would you like to sit down?"

The two of them sat on a white bench beside her mother's garden, enjoying the quiet of the early morning. A gentle breeze swept through the garden, carrying with it the warmth of the sun's rays. Pink flower petals fell from a tree, fluttering and dipping until they landed on the cold, wet ground.

Veronica imagined that she was just like that flower petal. Blossoming in the sun and admired by those below, but losing her status as soon as a strong gust of wind hit her. Veronica had always believed that she was stronger than the wind. Now, she wasn't so sure.

"Let's go," she said after a while. Sitting silently had made her remember the past. And remembering the past caused her to grow weak.

Noah nodded and lead her to the black car he had parked in front of the mansion.

ㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇㅇ

"I recently spoke with one of the officers that is investigating Clarissa's case," Noah said as they sped across the road.

Veronica turned away from the window, her interest piqued. "What did they say?"

He was silent for a moment. "They might have to close the case and leave it unsolved. There just isn't enough evidence."