9. Calling All Psychos

Start from the beginning

"There you go, slow and easy."

"How far do you think until we get into cell phone range?" She asked.

"Hopefully not too far. Let's go towards that clearing."

It took us awhile to get to the clearing, Lydia was having a lot of difficulty putting any weight on that foot. When we finally got there, she sat down while I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket.

"Anything?" She asked as I held it up trying to get at least one bar of signal.

"Yes!" I explained, quickly dialing the number for the park ranger. I explained our situation to him, and where I thought we were.

When I hung up the phone, she was throwing me a sly smile.

"What?" I asked.

"You finally admitted that we were lost."

I rolled my eyes at her as I took a seat next to her. I stretched my arms out behind me, leaning back. "Yeah, yeah."

"So, where's our next adventure?"

"Well, it's about an eleven hour drive from here to New Orleans. So, I was thinking we can drive about seven hours to Montgomery, Alabama to stay the night. Then we can get up early, have breakfast, and should be in New Orleans by lunch time."

She had a giant smile on her face excitement to overwhelm her. "This is going to be awesome! We can get coffee at the Café Du Monde and we can get dinner in the French Quarter. We can see Bourbon Street!"

I couldn't help but smile as she went on and on with different things you wanted to do there. I don't think she realized how much she's changed since the night we met. Seeing her like this, full of life and excitement, is one of the best feelings in the world.

It took about two hours for the ranger to find us and give us a ride back to the main entrance at the park

It took about two hours for the ranger to find us and give us a ride back to the main entrance at the park. Luckily, it gave Lydia some time to rest her foot. After, we were all loaded up we started heading back towards New Orleans. We were about two hours from Montgomery, Alabama and she was pondering what she wanted for dinner.

I brought up the topic of taking her to a doctor earlier and just like I assumed, she shot me down. I was able to persuade her to let me get her a boot, that way at least it would help keep a lot of the pressure off while she was healing.

"So, have you made up your mind about dinner?"

"No, I can't decide. You pick," she said as she let out a long breath.

To be honest, I wasn't really up to going out to eat tonight. It's been a long fucking day. Thinking back to our time in Atlantic City, I got an idea.

"What do you say about ordering pizza and watching a movie at the hotel?"

I could feel her surprised expression before I even turned to look at her. When she didn't answer right away, I added, "If you want."

"Does pepperoni work for you?" She asked with a little nervousness in her voice.