Chapter 1

"Emma. Emma, where are you?" called Snow White, throughout the entire estate. "Leo, have you seen your sister?" She asked her eldest child.

"She's in father's study. Same as always." Said Leo

"Of course she is." Said Snow, thinking how ridiculous it was she didn't think to look there first. She hurried to her husband's study, and found her daughter studying a map on the floor.

"Emma, what are you doing? I asked you to go to the market almost a hour ago." Snow White said.

"Sorry mother, I was trying to figure out where father might be." Emma told her.

Emma's father, Captain David Nolan, was a well respected merchant. He would travel to distant lands selling and trading spices, jewels, and other magnificent riches across the sea and realms. He had three ships The Emerald, The Delphinium, and The Conte de Fée. Sadly a The Emerald has been destroyed at sea in a massive storm off the Coast of the Southern Isles a year ago. It had taken a huge hit in the business so much, that Captain Nolan had to ask for a loan from Lord Killian Jones, just to keep business afloat. Her father was on his way back, aboard The Delphinium, with a shipment of silver to help pay off the debt.

"Your father is at sea. That is where he is. Even though he was supposed to be back a week ago." Emma could sense the worry in her mother's voice. Her father's ship was supposed to make port a week ago but, never showed up. David had never been more than a day or two late. His family was starting to get worried about him.

"Don't worry mother, father will be home soon." Emma said, putting a comforting hand on her mother's shoulder.

"I know. As for you, go to the market, and get some food." Snow White scolded her daughter.

"Potatoes again?"

"It's all we can afford."

"I'll see if I can fix that." Emma said, hurrying off to the market.

The marketplace was near the port. Emma loves coming down to the port. She loves the hustle and bustle of the people, she loves the smell of salt in the air but, more than anything she loves being able to sit on a bench and watch the ocean's horizon. She dreamed of being able to go beyond that horizon and see what the world had to offer from it. Her father had planned on passing down the business to her one day, since her brother would rather work on the books for the business than be anywhere near the water.

"Good morning Mr. De Leon. Good morning Mrs. De Leon." Emma greeted the butcher and his wife. "May I have that piece ham, please." She said pointing to small roast ham that could feed her family for a week. Maybe even a couple extra days if rationed properly.

"Emma, you and your family are very kind but, we can't extend your family's credit any." Said the butcher.

"That's alright. I'll be sure to tell my father of your well-being when he and his men return from sea. You know how they crave fresh meat once they're off the ship. Good day." She said to them. She had turned around and had not taken more than two steps before she heard the butcher call her name.

"Emma, wait. What did you say you wanted?" Emma turned on her heels and point to the ham she wanted.

As she left the butcher shop she decided to stop by the docks. Emma had gone to the docks in the hope that her father's ship had finally come in. As she went across the different ships she read their names to herself in the hope that The Delphinium had finally made port.

As Emma walked along the ships, she read each name to herself hoping she find The Delphinium among them.

Crimson Bound.

Iron Hans.

The Red Wolf.

Green Beauty.

The Delphinium.

Her father's ship had returned, but not in the same condition as it had left. There were holes in the ship's hull, half the sails were torn to pieces, and the main mast was completely gone. It was a miracle the ship was still above water.

Then she saw walking down the gangplank was her father and his first mate, Baelfire. Her father looked like he had aged two decades, and he needed Baelfire's help just to get down the gangplank.

Emma ran to her father, she didn't hug out of fear that he would fall apart from a single touch. She looked at Baelfire and said, "What happened?"

He could barely look her in the eyes. All Baelfire could say was, "Take him home."

Emma took one of David's arms and put it over her shoulder. As she walked away she heard Baelfire called to her and say, "Emma, it was good to see you again."

When Emma walked through with her father her mother and brother immediately surrounded them. They helped David to sit down at the dining room table, and bought him food and water to drink. Afterwards he had told them what had happened to The Delphinium.

"A massive storm storm had come out of nowhere. Before we knew it the waves had become the size of mountains, and took out the main mast. When that happened I knew we had no choice." David looked very sorrowfully at his family, afraid to finish his story.

"What happened Papa?" Emma said encouragingly, calling him by the name she only reserved for him on certain occasions.

David took a deep breath and told his family, "We had to throw the entire cargo overboard, in order to regain control of the ship. And we are going to have to pay for it all."

The entire family was in shock they were now even further in debt.

"The important thing is you are alright." Snow White said, wrapping her arms around her husband's neck, "We'll just have to tighten our belts a bit more. Plus we still have The Conte de Fée. We still have hope." David looked at his wife lovingly, so grateful to have her in his life.

There was a sudden knock at the door. "I'll go see who it is." Emma said.

As Emma went to answer the door her father followed behind her, having a good idea of who it might be. Emma opened the door, there stood a man with shaggy brown hair and dark eyes.

"I'm here to see David Nolan." was all he said.

"May I ask who you are." Emma asked him, trying to figure out how to get rid of this man as fast as possible.

"My name is Walsh. I'm here to talk to Captain David Nolan." The man said.

"Let him in Emma." David told her.

Emma reluctantly let Walsh walk in. Walsh walked up to David and told him, "I'm here to collect your debt, on behalf of Lord Killian Jones."