Chapter 4 - Saying Goodbye

As it got later into the night the losers separated into their rooms. Richie sat down on his bed. "You okay, Eds?"

"Yeah thanks for staying with me." Eddie layed down on his bed and got ready to sleep. "Urgh, it's so unhygienic in here. Do you even know how unsanitary this is?"

"There he is! My favorite Eddie Spaghetti! Please enlighten me about the dangers of motel rooms." Richie laughed laying down as well.

"Shut up, idiot!" Eddie rolled over on his side facing away from the other. He had missed this. He had missed him. "Goodnight."

After a 'night' from Richie he started to drift away, falling asleep. He was nearly gone as the other pooked him. "What's wrong?" He was drowsy and turned around to look at him.

Richie was standing at the edge of his bed without his classes seeming extremely tired himself. "I uh-" he took a deep breath "Would you mind if I slept with you in your bed?" He was red in the face and fiddling with his fingers.

Eddie just gave him an exhausted smile and lifted the blanket. "Hop in." He didn't have a problem with sharing a bed with him. They used to do that quite often when they had sleepovers back then. The losers in general tended to having a lot of sleepovers. But the two even had some when nobody else had time. Granted whenever Richie stayed over at his place he had to sneak in through the window since his mom hated him.

Richie got into bed with him and closed his eyes. "Thank you." He was facing towards him and slowly falling asleep. Eddie thought he looked kinda cute though he would never admit that. He was just so peaceful.

Eddie put his arm around him and started to slowly stroke his hair. He let his hands get tangled in the other locks. The feeling he felt when he was this close to him was something he couldn't explain. It was different from when he was with his wife. But to be fair Eddie was planning on making her sign the divorce papers when he returned home. After remembering everything he noticed that he married his mother or more like someone just like her. He had married someone just like his abuser.

Everything changed after he came there. He even got a scar to show that he isn't the same person anymore. His nightmares and fears made sense. His weird paranoia wasn't just a tick it was the result of his childhood trauma and the meeting with IT.

While thinking about his feelings and absentmindedly playing with Richie's hair he fell asleep as well.

The night went by without any complications and in the early morning hours Richie woke up. He felt the other's hand in his hair and smiled to himself. The way he was laying next to him was adorable. Richie thought he always looked cute but when he was sleeping he was at peace. He stayed like this just watching the other.

It was unfair that he had to be in love with another man. Unfair that that man was straight and married. It was unfair that he was so close to him right now but yet so far away.

Richie loved Eddie to bits and when he thought he wouldn't make it he couldn't take it. His biggest regret being that he never got to tell him how he felt and now when he got the second chance he wanted he was too much of a coward.

As time passed Richie woke up Eddie because they had to keep going. "Eds, wake up." He careful nudged him a bit being still worried that if he was to rough he would hurt him.

Eddie was still half asleep as he slowly got up. "Don't call me Eds." His hair was a mess and Richie thought it was cute.

"Okay, Eddie Spaghetti. You should wear you hair like that more often." He joked and received an annoyed look.

"Well, how about you look in the mirror before you judge my bed head, fuckface!" He kicked him out of bed and laughed.

Richie held his arm rubbing it slowly. "Ow, fuck!" He was swearing under his breath and looked down at his arm.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you. Are you alright? Let me take a look." Eddie felt bad he didn't want to really hurt him. He crawled to the edge of the bed and put his hand on the other's shoulder.

Suddenly Richie grabbed his hand and pulled him down on top of him. "Gotcha." He laughed and smiled at him.

Eddie broke out into laughter. He was just inches away from the other. As Richie noticed that he blushed a bit. He had made a mistake. His thoughts were running wild. What if he just kissed him? What if he told him he was in love with him? Would he reject him? He wanted him so bad but he had to resist his urges.

"You're such an asshole! I was worried."

"Aww, you were worried." Richie grinned at him and put his hand on his cheek. "That's cute."

Suddenly someone knocked at their hotel room door. "Are you guys ready to leave?" It was Beverly.

Eddie jumped off Richie being startled and opened the door. He was blushing being embarrassed about something he couldn't quite put his finger on. Something like this wasn't new to them. Richie did stuff like this a lot but for some reason it felt different this time. Maybe it was because Eddie knew he had been there for him everyday while he was in the hospital. Something was different and he knew it.

"We'll be there in ten minutes. We just need to get dressed and everything." After closing the door he and Richie got ready to leave. 

They continued to drive until they arrived at the graveyard where Stan was buried. As they went up to his grave a wave of sadness and regret came over them. They had all written letters to him like he had to them.

Ben was the first one to put his down. He wrote about how inspiring the other was and how he was the smartest and most responsible person he knew. He was braver than each one of them.

Mike went after him writing about how he and the other's changed his life and how they always used to watch the birds together. He was amazed by how many different bird species the other knew and how good his memory was.

Eddie was the third to lay his letter down. He thanked Stan for always being there for him and listening to him rant about Richie. As he went on he explained that he had always been thankful to have someone in their friend group that watched out for them all someone who cared so deeply about them.

Beverly layed her letter down being the fourth person to do so. She wrote a heartfelt apology for everytime the two of them had argued about her smoking. Stan had always tried to look out for her and didn't want her to damage her body like that. She thanked him for all the times he listened to her talk about her dad and how he was there for her.

Richie went after her and layed his letter down. He thanked him for being there for him when he struggled with his sexuality. Stan had been the only one of the Losers that knew about it until Beverly found out yesterday. He had helped him through a lot of though times and was his go to person when ever someone called him a "fairy" or "faggot". Richie went on to apologize for his bad jokes and annoying behavior. His letter ended with "You are part of my family and will always be. Thank you."

Bill was the last one to put his letter down on the grave. It was long maybe too long. He had repeated himself a lot in it. Talking about how much he had meant to him and how much he had loved. He wrote multiple paragraphs about how sorry he was that they didn't stay in contact and that he had forgot about him. But most importantly how sorry he was that he had gotten him wrapped up in all this and that he got him killed.