TEN | emergency contact

"You're telling me I need to change both of my emergency contacts?" I question the man on the other end. "I don't see why one isn't enough."

"The only number listed in your contacts died eight months ago." He answers.

I scoff at his reason. "So what? I'm sure Mrs. Neilson would fly out here if the situation called for it." What am I even saying?

"Just please submit two other contacts before the end of the week, otherwise I'll need to make another phone call."

"Well, thanks for the warning. I'll be blocking your number." I slam my finger on the end button and throw my cellphone into my top drawer, locking it for eternity.

Or however long it takes for the battery to die.

"So, you need two emergency contacts, huh?" Tony beams pridefully, puffing his chest out. "I'll be one of your emergency contacts."

"Kate!" I snap around, facing the only other female agent.

"Sure. I'll be your emergency contact." She waves it off. "Mostly because I need to put someone else down, so I was going to pick you."

"It's a deal." We shake hands in agreement.

Tony clears his throat, pointing to himself once again. "You still need another contact."

"Look, Tony. No offense, but I'd rather —" I trip over a discarded bin and almost fall.

Except Tony's arm around my waist keeps me from face-planting to the carpeted ground.

"Care to finish your statement?" Without looking, he tosses a paper ball into the bin, making it inside effortlessly.

"Alright, fine." I come back to a standing position. "I'll list you as my other emergency contact. Happy?"

"More than words can say."

Gibbs charges into the room with. . .two cups of coffee.

"Want to know what your first job is as my emergency contact?" I look up at him.

Tony rolls up his sleeves confidently. "I am ready for anything."

"Figure out why the hell Gibbs has two cups of coffee." I nod towards our silver-haired boss.

"That's a question that may have to remain unsolved." He shudders at the sight.

"We have a possible execution-style murder of a Navy Lieutenant Commander in Grayson County." Gibbs announces. "Call Ducky."

"You'll be happy to know I have call waiting."

"Please don't make a big deal out of this, Tony."

The local sheriff at the crime scene takes a quick liking to Gibbs. Once we're finished with the victim, Wayne Julius, Tony and I venture off to search his apartment.

"Oh, God. Who the heck decorated this place?" I grimace at the tiger stripes on different forms of furniture.

"Siegfried and Roy?" Tony stands in front of a black and white portrait of a tiger.

I move into the dining area while Tony situates himself in the living room.

"Ah, yeah. Nice gear." He moves over to the work desk. "Hey, what do you think of this?"

I discard the mail, most of them just unpaid bills, and go to him. He points to the post-it note, trying to read off the word.

"Igottoomany?".

"Tony, it says I got too many."

He chuckles in slight embarrassment. "Yeah. Thanks. What do you think that means?" Tony poses an inquiry.