Prologue

When I was younger, I was bullied for how small I was. Despite being the alpha's daughter, the other kids would continue to rag on me about how I was like a regular human compared to them. I had always been a good foot smaller than all the other girls and two than the boys.

I remember talking to my dad one day and asking him why I was so little. Maybe I was seven or eight, possibly six. My father, Ambrose Amster, naturally towered over me. He was an intimidating man, still is, with him being the alpha and all. It was only natural that he eclipsed everybody.

There was a point when my father looked at me. He cocked his head to the side and narrowed his eyes as if I had told him that I had discovered one of the seven wonders of the world. We were silent for a full minute before he shook his head and gave me a small, crooked smile.

"You just haven't hit your growth spurt yet," he had said as he reached forward to ruffle my short, brown hair. "Once you start growing, you'll be as big as the other kids."

And so I waited. I spent my days pulling at my arms and hands, yanking my fingers, hoping that they'd somehow stretch. Constantly, I'd do splits, hoping my legs would start growing and make me taller. What did it get me? Flexibility, not height. The teasing never stopped, but it was always 'harmless fun' when it came to the other kids. It was never serious enough for an adult to intervene because kids will be kids.

Then I turned twelve. Twelve was the age I was meant to receive my wolf, shift, and officially be deemed as the future alpha of my pack. Only, I never got my wolf. There was no voice in my head save for the one that continuously told me something was wrong. There was no change, so at least I had been spared the painful cracking and rearranging of my bones from the first shift. Then, I was stripped of my title.

No longer was I the future alpha to my pack. Instead, I was the runt, an outcast. No longer did my father's eyes fill with warmth when he looked at me. Instead a deep, deep hatred would rise to the surface. When my mother would meet my eyes, all I could see was disappointment. I was no longer their miracle child. My new title had been the failure child, the bane of everyone's existence.

And now... now I wish nothing more than to be a butterfly in the sky.