39. Ties that Bind

Kupotea and Kopa continued their struggle against one another. After rolling down the hill Kupo was on top of Kopa, attempting to hold him down. But he knew that the lion had no problem overpowering him. Acting on the first thought that came to him, he outstretched his paw and swiped at the lion's muzzle. Kopa recoiled back in pain from the hit, but regained his composure. A mark was left behind that stung on Kopa's muzzle, the lion growled and swatted his own paw. Kupo was hit back in the air, landing roughly on the more rockier surface of the hillside. 

Kion and Bunga, running back down the hill, met up with exactly who they were looking for. 

"Dad!", Kion called, bounding up to Simba. The lion stopped in his tracks, not believing what he was seeing. 

"Kion!!", Simba purred, bolting forward to embrace his son. Bunga joined in the moment as well. "How are you here? I thought--"

"I owe it all to Bunga", Kion smiled warmly, looking over the badger that hopped off his back. "Somehow he saved me from Scar."

"From Scar?", Simba flinched at that name. Things were bad enough as they were, but now the dreaded lion was a part of this as well? 

"You remember when my mark was stolen?", Kion asked his father who nodded in response. "It was who stole it. He gave it to Kopa and tried to trap me in some kind of forest or dream...?", he finished with uncertainly. But Simba got a good idea of what happened to his son. 

"But what was up with that green-glowly eye thing?", Bunga asked a question of his own. 

"Yeah, I don't remember any of that...", Kion sighed, shaking his head. 

"Kopa used the Roar, you're eyes turned green just like Scar's and you did whatever Kopa told you to", Simba explained. 

"That's just wrong!", Bunga growled at the thought of someone just taking Kion over. "I think it's about time we pay them back!" 

"I agree with Bunga", Simba nodded. All of this has gone on long enough. It was time to put this to an end. Kion nodded in agreement and the three of them ventured back up the hill to confront Kopa. 

"Uh, Dad..", Kion called as they trekked upwards. 

"Yes, Kion?"

"I know about the whole....Kopa being my brother thing", Kion admitted. 

Simba gave a deep sigh and glanced at Kion. He already knew the question his son wanted to ask him. "I should have told you and Kiara a long time ago. I just never knew how. The truth is I wanted nothing more to move on. I suppose it got to the point that it was if Kopa never existed."

"I think that...you should at least try to talk to him before...you know.", Kion suggested. Simba only nodded in agreement and the three continued back up the hill. 

Kupotea was left towards the bottom of hill, struggling to stay conscious from another powerful hit he took from Kopa. The lion in question was already making his way back up the hill. That jackal was nothing but an annoyance. 

What's wrong with him? Why is he always getting in my way? But then again I suppose he had his reasons for it, Kopa shook his head of those kinds of thoughts, he had a job to do. He had to put his plan into action, not waste time with whether or not some little jackal was in the right or not. It's just about time! He gave a sigh and did his best to forget about it and focus on getting back up the hill. 

Unbeknownst to him Simba, Kion and Bunga were also making their way back up the hill. Kion was unsure how the entire conflict would play out. Mostly he was worried about his father, who would be facing the enemy first. Bunga on the other hand felt buzzes of excitement run through him like jolts of electricity. Unlike the two lions, Bunga was hoping for some conflict. He wanted to give Kopa a serious piece of his mind for starting this whole war and everything that came with it. The face of Tano once again invaded his mind, causing him to shudder. 

"You alright, Bunga?", Kion asked the badger seated on his back. 

"Nothing. Just excited is all", Bunga gave the response that wasn't exactly a lie. He had no idea how he was gonna tell Kion what he did. He even considered never telling him or anyone else, caring that secret with him for the rest of his days. But now was not the time to worry about that, he needed to focus for Kion and the King's sake. If anything got out of control he wouldn't hesitate to jump in. 

As the top of the hill was in sight Simba stopped and turned to the others. "You two stay back here. I'm gonna try to talk to Kopa."

"But, Dad! I--"

"It's okay, Kion. The King's got this", Bunga said, climbing of his mate. Both Kion and Simba were surprised to hear Bunga way something like that. Usually he would protest and beg to be apart of the conflict. "If it goes bad then we run in."

Kion nodded and turned back to his father and nodded firmly. "We'll be right here when you need us."

 Simba nodded in return and continued on by himself, hoping that he could solve a conflict like this with simple conversation. 

He and Kopa stepped into view of one another on opposite sides of the clifftop. 

"Ah! The King himself.....", Kopa greeted, not actually expecting Simba to actually be up here with him. It only goes to show how things have deviated from his original plans.  

"Kopa, wait. I only want to talk", Simba said in a calm yet serious voice. 

".....Very well", Kopa sighed, actually sitting down. He came to the conclusion that it won't be the end world to listen to what the king has to say. After all, he needed a moment to catch his breath. "What is it?"

"Kopa, I..... I can't imagine what you must have been through. I know that you must be angry as. But you don't have to do this. You can stop this now and can all be in peace", Simba offered. 

"We can all be in peace? Do you really mean that? You don't have to pretend, if I do back down everything will go back to the way it was before", Kopa shook his head. 

"Exactly", Simba said with a hopeful pitch in his voice. 

Kopa growled in disgust and stood up. "Everything back to the way it was before: innocent creatures trapped in the Outlands doomed to suffer and die. And what about me? I wasn't here for you're precious 'way it was before'. So what are you gonna do with me? You're just gonna cast me off down the river and keep living you're happily little life!" 

"Kopa...I...", Simba tried. 

"I get it! This is how you rule over the land! You get rid of everyone who doesn't fit in you're perfect system! That's why, thanks to me, the Pride Lands end today!", Kopa snarled, a deep growl forming in his chest. 

Simba braced himself for whatever was about to be thrown at him.