thirty-one 🍯

three days later, tyler was, for the most part, over his cold. it's a friday, and both boys have off of work. tyler's birthday is tomorrow, and josh has yet to get him anything extravagant. sure, he bought a few movies and coloring books, but tyler deserves more.

and josh has the perfect idea.

"hey, baby?" he calls out as he descends the stairs, hoping tyler will hear him from the living room.

"yes, daddy!?" tyler yells back.

"what are you wearing?" josh asks, poking his head into the living room.

"ummm..." tyler looks down at himself. "my undies."

"okay, get dressed."

"but why!?" the boy whines, pointing at the tv. "daddy, bubble guppies!"

"i promise you, you're going to love this more than bubble guppies."

"you help?"

"sure, come on."

tyler follows josh back upstairs, pinching the man's butt the whole way.

"stop it, mister," josh laughs, swatting the boy's hand away.

"but daddy! your butt's in my face!"

"so?"

"s'pinchable!" tyler giggles, stopping once they reach the top of the stairs.

josh helps him choose an outfit, blue camouflage sweatpants and a white t-shirt covered in blue dinosaurs. he slides purple fuzzy socks over the boy's feet, tickling the bottoms of them.

"no tickles!" tyler squeals, rapidly kicking his feet.

"okay, okay. put your boots on. where's your coat?"

"but daddy!"

"no buts, tyler. it's freezing outside, and there's snow on the ground. you are wearing boots and a coat. do i have to make you wear mittens too?"

"noooo!"

"that's what i thought. where's your coat?"

tyler huffs and drops to his knees beside their bed. he reaches under and pulls out his coat, displaying it before josh.

"why was it under our bed?"

"i think thumper mighta hid it..."

"guess i'll have to have a talk with him. put it on."

"but where's your coat!?" tyler whines, shoving his arms through the sleeves and angrily zipping it up.

"downstairs," josh chuckles, ruffling the boy's hair and kissing his forehead. "now come on, cutie. your boots by the front door?"

"uh-huh," tyler mumbles.

he just wants to stay at home where he can feel cozy in his undies and watch bubble guppies! josh hasn't even told him where they're going yet...