twelve🍼

"You're not being fair!" Tyler stomps his foot, palms slapping against his bare thighs.

"That's not something you get a say in," Josh responds calmly, standing at the oven.

"Veggies are yucky! 'M not eating them!"

"Tyler," Josh sighs, his back turned to the boy as he watches the food on the burner. "All you've had today is junk food. You're going to eat it and that's final."

"No!"

"Stop arguing with me."

"No!" Tyler yells, storming over to his daddy and giving him the stink eye. "You're a meanie."

"Don't talk to me like that, little boy," Josh warns, turning his back to the brunette once more as he starts preparing their plates.

"I want ice cream! Don't like broccoli!"

"Enough, Tyler," the older mutters, loading the vegetables along with a chicken leg on Tyler's plate.

He goes to hand it to the boy, but the second he turns around the paper plate is smacked out of his hand. It falls to the ground, food splattering all over the floor.

"Tyler Robert!"

The little one gasps softly, eyeing the mess as tears swell in his eyes. "Uh-ohs..."

"Go," Josh says, pointing in the direction of the stairs. "Time-out. Now."

"Daddy, I'm so-"

"Now," Josh repeats. "Third step. Don't argue."

So, the little boy shuffles away, hot tears gliding down flushed cheeks. Tyler sits on the third step as he's told, burying his face in his knees. Josh follows closely behind, cheeks tinted in anger. But despite the fire bubbling in his chest, he speaks quietly.

"Fifteen minutes," he says, setting the timer on his phone. He places it beside the boy. "And then I want an apology and you're going to eat what I give you, otherwise you'll sit longer. Okay?"

"Okay," Tyler whines, wiping away snot with the back of his hand as he watches his daddy walk away.

Fifteen minutes later, Josh is in the kitchen when the alarm goes off. He's already cleaned up the mess, and loaded up a new plate for the brunette.

"Tyler!" He calls. "Come here and bring my phone!"

The little drags his feet as he enters the room, head hanging in shame. He holds the phone out. "Here you go, Daddy. I's sowwy I's a bad boy..."

"Come here, baby. You're not a bad boy, not at all. You did such a good job in time-out. I'm proud of you."

With a hint of a smile, Tyler snakes his arms around Josh's waist, burying his face in his chest. He hums in satisfaction as Josh's arms close around him.

"I gotsta eat broccoli still?"

"Yeah, you gotta. We'll play a game. How about that?"

"What's the game?" Tyler gasps, looking up at his daddy with excitement.

"We see who can eat their broccoli the fastest. Whoever wins gets to pick out a bedtime story tonight," Josh grins, kissing his little boy's forehead.

"Otay! Gimme, gimme!"

The older chuckles, setting two plates next to eat other on the island counter. He takes a seat next to Tyler, who has already begun shoveling broccoli into his mouth.

"Hey! Careful, cutie. We don't want you to choke."

Tyler ignores his request, continuing to shove the vegetables into his mouth until there's no more left on his plate. By the time he's opening his mouth to prove he swallowed every last piece, Josh is only halfway done. He wasn't necessarily trying, but he was still surprised that Tyler ate it so fast.

"Wow, baby boy! Good job!" He praises, making Tyler blush.

"Tanks Daddy! I want Lilo and Stitch tonight!"

"Yes, your highness," Josh replies, smiling as he makes the boy giggle.

"You're silly, Daddy! I love you."

"I love you too, sweetpea. You're such a good little boy."

"Even though I made a mess?" Tyler frowns, now eating his chicken a lot slower than the broccoli. He wishes it was chicken nuggets instead.

"Yes, even though you made a mess. I know you were upset with me and didn't know how else to react. You're still a good boy, just don't do it again."

"Otay!" Tyler beams, wiggling in his chair. "And Daddy?"

"Yeah, hun?"

"Can I still have ice cream?"