Chapter One: Welcome to My World

It was a beautiful day out as the coloured rays of the sun penetrated the darkness of my chambers. I was awoken as the wind made the climbing ivy rattle against the stained glass. I noted Zinnake lay over my feet, his large Hellhound body almost crushing them. He had his own bed in the corner of my room, but I don't think he's ever used it.

Zinnake felt me stir and immediately woke on high alert. He was my personal protector. He couldn't fit into Kine's pack, no matter how hard he tried. It was never from him being ostracized, but the lack of feeling of belonging. So, we've been inseparable since my birth. Mother said he never left my side. It was as if he felt like he belonged there. Now he's also my best friend.

"Good morning, Peace!" The old hound yawned.

I pulled my pillow over my face and mumbled a good morning in reply, making Zinnake chuckle at my antics. He shook out his fluffy black coat and pulled the pillow off my face.

"Another hour! Come on, Zinnake. Let's be lazy today." I groaned, flopping onto my stomach and stretching out my large, black-feathered wings for dramatic effect.

"Come, silly one. It's time to train. But, we can visit Dielanda and Kine afterwards. Remember? They had another litter of Pups."

Excitement to see the new young lives filled me and with a strong push of my wings I was up out of bed. Blankets were sprawled all over the room from the wind my wings created. Along with a rather irritated Zinnake as he ended up with most of the covers on top of him. I felt bad for laughing but he just looked so funny with the black and purple blankets covering him.

"Ha. Ha. Yes, so funny. Let's cover the Hellhound in blankets!" He pouted, trying to shake off all the covers.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Zinnake." I apologized as I helped remove him from his soft encasement.

Zinnake shook the rest of the fabric from his body and gave me his best feel guilty eyes. He's used those eyes on everyone, but they never worked on me. I just laughed and ruffled the fur between his eyes, making him stop. We were always like this with each other, a lot of playing and teasing. But, I honestly don't know what I would do without him.

I pulled out a short, black, ruffled skirt and a black, long sleeve shirt to wear. I also put on some thin leggings to wear underneath my skirt and conceal my cute, lacy undergarments. Those were only for my mate's eyes, wherever he might be. I was technically passed the usual date Demons find their soul mates. But, I tried not to think too much on such matters.

"Your thinking about finding your mate again, aren't you?"

I turned to the all-knowing hound and shook my head with a laugh. He always knew when I was starting to feel down.

"Your emotions pour into the energy surrounding you, Peace. You still have to work on controlling that."

"Ah. I see."

After a moment I sighed and nodded, confirming the hound's suspicions. He whimpered and shoved his enormous, furry body into my side, nearly knocking me over. I smiled and embraced Zinnake in thanks for his sympathies.

"Hey, Peace? You know we're late right?"

"Oh, by the Gods!" I squeaked out in panic and finished dressing.

I finished my ensemble by strapping my daggers to my legs and my sword to my hip. Now, I was ready to face whatever the day may throw my way.