CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE NIGHTMARE AT CAMP

Start from the beginning

          “Who is she?!” I shouted to Calypso above all the noise.

          “Melinoe!” she shouted back, “goddess of ghosts and nightmares!” she added.

          “What is she doing?” I asked.

          “She makes mortals see their ghosts, things that they regret. She used to make people go insane in the old days!” she said, “She takes the form of whatever you feel guiltier the most”

          “So that’s why they’re scared?” I asked, “Of one freaky goddess? Man, I hit the Titan Lord with a hairbrush!” I said.  

          “She’s not alone, Rachel” she told me, “look more carefully” she said pointing at the empty space at the night sky.

          I looked carefully and not only seeing Melinoe in the sky, but also some dark figures flying around camp, in between the campers.

          “What are those, Calypso?” I asked my immortal friend.

          “Arai” she told me, “Whenever you kill one, the curse it carries is released upon you, if someone have cursed you, the more you kill, the more curses you have upon yourself” she said

          “So, if a monster curses a camper when it’s killed by a demigod, if that demigod kills the arai, the curse the monster casted will affect the demigod?” I asked.

“Yes” she said simply.

          Oh gods, this is not good, how are we supposed to stop something we cannot kill?

          “Rachel, have you ever killed a monster?” Calypso asked me.

          “No, why-“ I started asking but then I saw where she wanted to get to. I haven’t killed anyone that could curse me. Well, I hit Kronos with my brush, but how could he curse me? Making me feel the brush in my eye?  

          “So?” she asked and I nodded.

          Calypso took a bow and a quiver and gave me a sword. She shoots the first arrow and hits an arai just in the face, it disintegrated to dust.

          “You!” I heard voices all around, all the demons were looking at us. They got nearer and nearer, “Calypso! Daughter of Atlas!” they said at once. I saw an arai was going towards Calypso from her back, so I jumped and slashed it.

          I felt something hit my eye and when I opened it, it was a little blurry from my injured eye, but nothing more.  Wow, very mature, the Titan Lord cursed me with a hitting hairbrush.

          “Rachel Elizabeth Dare, host of the Oracle of Delphi! You have a few curses upon yourself” they said, but I didn’t care.

I slashed another arai. I felt as if someone was taking something from me.

“Cursed by Annabeth Chase, years ago; when the son of Poseidon chose you over her to guide them through the endless maze” they said. Annabeth. I’m going to ask her about it later, now, I have a camp to save.

          I slashed arai after arai, after the fourth or fifth, the curses stopped and I was just slashing the evil demons. Soon, there were no arai left.

          “You!” I heard a voice from the sky, “how you dare to stop the fear at camp?!” it was Melinoe.

          “Sorry Meli, but hope is stronger than fear. And something I really hope, is that we can live a normal life for once!” I shouted charging at her.

          A sword grew in her hand. The blades crashed, and crashed one time after another. I dodged at her attacks and she blocked couple of mine. She wasn’t very good with the sword, but her ghostly form helped her whenever I hit her with the blade, she would only reform.

          “Why aren’t you scared of me?” she asked me.

          “Because I don’t have anything to be scared of; I’m not guilty of anything. You are the one that’s scared here, Melinoe, you are scared that people forget you; that people discover that you are just a poor girl whom her parents don’t pay attention. You are scared of not causing fear anymore. That people start seeing you like you are” I said.

          Melinoe’s face showed terror, tears started to fall from her the empty pits she had for eyes through her face and then to the ground, then, she started to faint, slowly, then all at once. One by one, the campers started to recover from the fear they’ve been in minutes ago. They were all confused on what have happened.

          “Rachel that was awesome, the way you talked to Melinoe… wow” she said.

          “Thanks, you are incredible with the bow, though” I said, “Why didn’t you got near to us when I was fighting her?” I inquired.

          “Well, I saw my father, his image was telling me that he was ashamed of me, that I shouldn’t be helping you, who imprisoned him for the second time under the sky; that I should be trying to get him out of there” she said with tears in her eyes. “But don’t worry, I won’t betray you” she added.

We were walking around, seeing if anyone wanted help.

          “Rachel! Calypso!” we heard someone shout. It was Connor Stoll. What does he wants now?

          “What is it Connor?” I asked.

          “Iris message for you, guys, is from the ones in the quest” he said.

          Calypso’s face lightened up and she mouthed something like ‘Leo’ and walked, well, almost ran, to where Connor pointed.

I just hope there are no problems in England.