Chapter Twelve

He told her to stay out of it. He said he'd handle everything. He said she didn't need to know the details, but she could go home and sleep easy because Ally Lund and Collin Sandford would not be a problem any longer.

She recorded every word on her smart phone.

Daniel had left the table first. She'd waited for him to leave the cafe entirely before she reached for her handbag, which was on the floor by the leg of the table and retrieved the phone that was sitting in it still recording.

She clicked [STOP] on the recording and looked at the 7mins and 11secs of damning evidence just sitting there on her screen.

'What the fuck are you doing, Melissa?' Her mind demanded of her as she looked at the squiggly line that represented their voice recording. It was such a short little tangle of digital line, but with it should could weave a hangman's noise.

When had she decided make the recording?

Why now? She'd have plenty of occasions to film Daniel speaking of damning subjects that could bring him down, why had this moment been so pivotal?

The answer came to her quicker than the question had. She knew the billionaire would immediately jump to the extreme once she told him about Ally Lund.

Whatever threat the woman posed to them, she didn't deserve to die. They'd murdered her brother. Ally was already the victim here, she didn't deserve to be murdered to save Daniel's ass.

Was that it? Was the guilt suddenly too much for her?

Hardly.

With this recording she could bring Daniel down. There was nothing in that could hurt her, she'd been very careful at wording everything she said with that on mind.

Of course, she was jumping to conclusions. She didn't know for certain he'd actually do it. Maybe he was just going to pay her off? Maybe he would just scare her off?

Would telling herself that ultimately make it alright for her to stand back and let him kill Ally Lund and Collin Sandford?

After all, the two had potentially conspired to sexually assault her in that nightclub bathroom. It wasn't as bad as what their younger brothers had been apart of with Jack, but clearly that sort of behaviour was in their DNA.

She could save them...

There was still time...

But should she? She didn't know them. She didn't owe them anything, their brothers had brought that fate on themselves.

Melissa shifted uncomfortably seeing images of those burning boys before her in the cafe. She gathered up her bag after uploading the recording to her cloud storage account and exited the cafe with the two full coffees and untouched plate of biscuits still sitting there.

Daniel was well and truly gone by now and she moved with purpose back towards home. Blake would likely be a while yet, and she needed more information on Ally Lund and knew just where to get it.

"Good morning," she greeted the doppelgänger at the concierge once she stepped through the doors into the lobby of Watson Tower.

The blonde woman looked pleasantly surprised at being acknowledged and seemed for a moment to have forgotten how to speak English.

"I'm Melissa Wright, my family and I live on the twentieth level," she introduced herself warmly.

"Abby," the girl smiled back after the initial shock wore off.

Were these girls assigned these stupid name shortenings when they were hired, or was it a prerequisite along with their blonde hair and perky breasts?

"The other girl who works here, is she working tonight?" Melissa asked politely.