Chapter Five

"I'm sorry Dr Carter but our policy requires us to have a formal conversation with you about this," Principal Keen and Miss Crowley were talking to her mum one afternoon while Melissa stood outside the classroom door waiting to be able to go home from school.

She didn't even know why they were still there. That little bitch Jessica had it coming.

"We have already met with Miss Porter's parents and they've kindly agreed to forego pressing charges and we've told them this is a first-time offence..." Melissa could hear Miss Crowley telling her mother.

Melissa had been asked to wait out in the hallway while the meeting was being conducted. She'd complied but made sure she didn't close the door all the way and now listened through the slight gap curiously.

"But the honest truth is that it isn't," Miss Crowley continued.

"I don't understand?" Her mother asked cautiously, "this has happened before?"

"Please understand, Melissa is a very bright girl," the principal was talking now, "her grades are fantastic, she's in the top three for the fourth grade-"

Melissa knew that meant she was third. She was going to have to do something about that.

"The truth is that most of the other students avoid her," Mrs Crowley pointed out.

It was true. Melissa smirked about that.

"But she has friends, she tells me about..." he mother seemed lost for a moment, "I'm certain she's mentioned names,"

The teacher and the Principal added nothing for a moment, seeming to want her mother to come to her own conclusions.

"I don't understand where this is coming from?" Her mother continued, "we don't even smack her,"

"I believe... perhaps, Melissa is bored," the Principal suggested impishly, "I'm not sure we're able to challenge her adequately in our school,"

"You're kicking her out?" Her mother's voice rose an octave.

That was a surprise. Melissa didn't think the teachers in this school had a backbone.

"It was the only way we could convince Jessica's parents not to press charges," Miss Crowley added.

"We'd much rather you chose to cancel her enrolment," the Principal pointed out, "Windsor College hasn't had an expulsion in ten years, and she's so very young,"

"You don't want this on her permanent record," Miss Crowley added.

There was silence again and then her mother added, "she's not an aggressive child,"

There was another moment of silence before the Principal added, "we will need to agree to disagree on that, I'm afraid,"

What a laugh.

"The school board will meet tomorrow to discuss this as it is quite a negative event," the Principal continued, "unless you end her enrolment now, there will be a recorded discussion which will end with a decision to expel,"

"We need to impress upon you that it is more than likely to pass," Miss Crowley added.

"This is ridiculous," Dr Carter responded aghast and upset, "this is the first I am hearing of this, you have enough records to expel her?"

"Not records but- we've tried very hard not to blemish your daughter's record," the Principal added at last. "But teachers will provide testimonies if necessary..."