Chapter Two

"Daniel," the small boy chanted again.

"Johnyal," the four year old girl replied as she sat in front of him rocking her baby doll in her arms. It was a petite little baby doll, beautiful and for some strange reason; anatomically correct. A little girl baby and it smelt of lollies.

It had been a gift from her mother, they'd purchased it from a boutique toy shop during holiday when they were travelling through a small town named Lake Crane.

They'd been recommended the toy by a woman with a one year old daughter. Sarah, she'd said her baby's name was and Melissa was just a little bit scared of the woman who was a bit rough around the the edges.

The woman was actually pointing out how inappropriate she thought the doll was, having a vagina and all but Dr. Wright disagreed, privately of course.

Once the woman and baby Sarah left the toy shop without buying anything; Dr. Wright showed the doll to her daughter whom fell in love with it immediately, anatomically correct or otherwise.

She would never part with it or it's little pink dress, which was why she'd had it with her when her mother made house calls at the Hennessy manor house in the richer suburbs in the city where people could afford not to live on top of one another.

"No," the twelve year old was getting frustrated with her. "My name is Daniel," he responded with a bit more heat.

"Johnyal," she sang, still with eyes only for her baby doll. It was her favourite toy in the whole wide world.

It came with its own turquoise baby basket which was actually made out of cotton so also doubled as a shopping bag when she had to go and buy food for her baby.

"No!" Daniel snapped and snatched at the small pink dress she was trying to slip over the baby dolls arms, "Dan-iel!" He snapped.

She glared up at him. Why was he so mad at her? She'd said his name so many time this morning already, "that's mine!" She whined loudly when she tried to snatch the dress back but the older boy held it out of her reach.

"You can have it back when you say my name properly," he told her with his towering superiority.

He was twelve after all.

"Dan-iel," he prompted her, holding the dress up high to emphasise the price of compliance.

She looked at him fiercely, tears already in her eyes. If he didn't give back her dress right now she was going to scream.

"Come on, all you have to say is Daniel and I will give it back," he lowered it and she snatched for it but he lifted it back out of her reach, "Dan-iel," he prompted her once more.

She considered mutiny. Her mum was somewhere nearby with Johnyal's dad but her mother had explained at length in the car on the way over that he was very ill.

She already hated this house it was so big, much bigger than there own and there were strange adults lurking everywhere.

She could see one of them now. A woman in a black dress with a white apron. She hadn't moved from where she was standing the entire time; but she was definitely watching.

Why didn't she stop Johnyal from taking her dolls dress?

"I'm going to give you one last chance," he snapped at her and she stared back at him defiantly, "Dan-iel,"

She crossed her arms. Puffed out her cheeks and blew a raspberry at him.

He slapped her.