Memories

801 words - No warnings

~

"You want to hear a story?" I asked, confused by my ten year old grandsons sudden interest in my boring past.

"Please Granddad!" Little Oliver chirped. "You always tell dad your stories. I want to hear them too."

"Im sorry Oli," I replied with a soft laugh as I tucked him in. "Lets see, I think I have one for you."

-

It was a perfect summer afternoon, the sun happily beaming down on the people of London. Phil and I had just finished moving into our new apartment and we were eager to get out and explore. Yes we were a little bit more energetic back then, believe it or not.

Phil grabbed my hand, dragging me down the crowded streets. He was a little bit too excited about how many shops there were. While I was just excited to be with him.

As we walked a sign caught my eye, I froze as Phil shared my vision.

Bicycle for two! Rent a two seater today!

"No way am I doing that," I grimaced as Phil tugged at my hand.

"What?! Dan! Are you kidding? We have to do it!" Phil begged with a pout.

I laughed nervously as Phil dragged me through the crowded sidewalk. I pulled my hand away and hid behind him as we approached an old man sitting in a booth. The loads of bikes behind the counter told me they didn't get much business.

"Hello! I'd like to rent the two person bicycle please," Phil told him happily, sliding the cash across the counter.

The man nodded and stood up to grab the bike and two helmets, slowly wheeling it out of his booth.

"Please bring it back in about an hour. Or I will find you," He told us, sounding terribly like a serial killer.

'Thanks mister!" Phil chirped and took hold of the handle bars.

I walked out with Phil, approaching the sidewalk full of people. It was hard to focus when everybody was staring at us.

"You ready for this?" Phil asked as he swung his leg over, pulling himself onto the seat.

"No," I sighed but followed his lead anyways.

Of course Phil had to take the first seat, since this whole thing was his idea. We began to peddle, slowly moving forward up the sidewalk. Riding a two seater bike actually wasn't so bad.

"Wow. This hill is pretty steep," Phil huffed as he peddled as hard as he could.

"You'll be okay," I hummed as I rested my feet, letting Phil do all of the work.

It didn't take much longer for Phil to realize what I was doing, "Dan! I can't do this alone!"

I laughed and immediately went back to peddling. What we didn't realize was that two people working as hard as they could meant that we were going to go faster than we had been.

We flew at what seemed like the speed of light over the hill and began rapidly flying to the bottom.

Phil and I both screaming as we attempted to swerve out of the way of innocent pedestrians. Both of us to caught up in the moment to remember that we had brakes.

At the bottom of the hill the road curved, leaving us headed straight for the river.

"Turn turn turn! Phil!" I screamed as we neared the end of the road.

Phil tried his best to turn us away but nothing he did saved us from our watery fate.

I closed my eyes as we crashed into the warm river water. Quickly I swam towards Phil, making sure he was okay.

"Are you okay?" He asked me as we met up.

"Yeah," I coughed with a nervous laugh. "I told you this was a bad idea."

Phil quickly looked around, cursing to himswlf as we both realized that the bike was slowly floating to the bottom.

We both swam down and grabbed an end. If we hadn't have been as tall as we were I don't think we would have been able to reach it in time.

The man didn't look too impressed with us when we returned his sopping wet bike and helmets. But the main this is that we weren't hurt, and admittedly I did have some fun riding a bycicle meant for two.

-

"Wow! Granddad that sounds awesome! I want to ride one of those bikes with you someday!" Oliver squeaked with excitement.

"Yeah? Maybe we can when you get a little bit bigger okay squirt?" I told him and messed his hair slightly.

Oliver giggled as I stood up from my spot. I pressed a soft kiss to his forehead before walking over to the light switch.

"Goodnight Oli," I said with a smile.

"Night granddad!" He chirped and pulled the covers up to his chin.