We writing a book!! Part 2

Depuis le début

1. Congressional debate (model congress or congress): Basically you get bills a week before a tournament and you have that week to come up with arguments for or against these bills. Then you debate them like it was in the US congress. It's pretty cool.

2. Extemporaneous speaking (extempt) : This one's one of the hardest if not the hardest event. You get a question about politics and have thirty minutes to basically make a five paragraph essay on it complete with sources and all that. Then you have to present it, but you don't have your notes, so you have to do it from memory (People write out the points for the essay, they don't actually write it out)

3. Impromptu speaking (impromptu): This is sort of like extempt. You get a word or phrase or current event or something and have seven minutes to come up with ideas and then present a speech about the word/phrase/event. 

4. Prose Reading (Prose): You perform a story written by someone else. The thing about prose is that most of the speeches that do well are about someone's death, so either you present the heaviest shit ever or you don't get a good score from the judge. You get to keep a small black binder with you while you're presenting with the speech so you can check that if you forget it.

5. Duo interpretation (duo): Duo is REALLY cool. It's two people who present a story together. These stories are often pretty heavy too, but not always. I'm gonna attach a link for an example (they don't all have singing). Those one's a memorized event, so no binder.

6. Original Oratory (OO): You write a speech about something that should change. Some really interesting ones have been why we shouldn't measure growth as just going up, and how we need to check sources more for debaters. AND it's not all about death!! You don't get a binder (I think). Also yeah, it's pronounced owo

7. Informative Speaking (info): this is the same as OO except you write about some (generally niche) topic and inform the judge about it. This one doesn't have a binder, but you do have slides with images to show the judge that help's illustrate your point.

8. Children's literature (Kiddy lit): This is the most over-the-top of the events. You choose a childrens' book and perform it with different voices and poses for each character and all that. The motto for it is basically "no shame." You get a binder.

9. Declamation (dec): You present someone else's speech, and it's memorized.

10. Programmed Oral Interp (POI): This is a cool event. It's pretty new, so not a ton of people do. Basically you choose a very niche specific topic to explore (for example my friend is doing one on why the concepts of heaven and hell/the afterlife in general show up in so many religions). You combine a lot of different genres like poetry, stories, speeches, etc. to present your idea. 

11. Poetry Reading (poetry): You present a super long poem and shorter, related poems for memory. 

12. Multiple Reading (mult): This is also a really cool event. It's like duo but with five to eight people. You get a binder

There are some more that I didn't include either a.) because I don't know them as well or b.) I don't like them (Specifically group discussion and radio broadcasting for anyone who does speech)

Where they're from: So I got a LOT of suggestions. I got a bunch for having it in the south United States, so I'm down to do that, but y'all have to tell me a bit about the culture and all that because the south and where I'm from are pretty different.

I forgot some things, so here's more character building:

Catchprase(s):

-Oof (That's a BIG oof, quite an oof, oofer, etc.)